What to do next

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
laurence79

by laurence79 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:57 pm

What to do next

About six years ago I wet my bed for the first time since I was a kid. I thought it was a one off, but it wasn't. After a period of time the one off accident became the norm and I was wetting most nights. I eventually plucked up the courage to go to my GP and then onto a consultant.
Later on I also started to have urgency issues during the day as well, starting with small leaks after getting to the toilet too late to totally wetting my pants.
I use protection all the time, the type and absorbency varies depending where I am and what I am doing.
It took nearly a year from my first symptoms to getting myself to my GP and a but longer to the consultant. To date I have tried all the medication I can and have had one operation on my bladder neck and one on my postate. In doing this I had lots of meetings and tests. Now I do not feel the need to wee all the time anymore, but feel nothing until just before I go.
I am seeing my second consultant next month to discuss what to do next. Some of the options are listed below, but I know there are pros and cons of each. If anyone has any experience if any of them I would love to hear from you. What was the procedure like, how long did recovery take, how effective was it?

Possible choices:
1. Do nothing and keep wearing protection
2. Use catheters
3. Have valve fitted
4. Have sling fitted
5. Have Botox injections

Oh, by the way I am male and 46 years old. I work full time in the education sector.

2 posts