Pads or sheaths

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
mickey

by mickey on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:45 am

Pads or sheaths

Hi,

I have been using pads at night for a while now, and getting a little fed up in the mornings.
When I first went to the continence clinic, they offered sheaths, so recently I went to a walk in center to discuss sheaths.

The doctor at the walk in center was unable to help, yes they do offer them but she has never had any one take her up on the offer???? They are going to write to my GP and hospital to see what was recommended in the past and see what's available to me.

But I am interested to know what do you prefer pads or sheaths?

Thanks
Mickey

laurence79

by laurence79 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:41 am

Re: Pads or sheaths

I have been using pads for the last 6 or so years. At my last two annual reviews with the continence service I have been offered a sheath, both times I said no. Like you I would be interested to know of anybody experience of using one. I use day and night and still sometimes make it to the toilet so the idea of wearing a sheath makes me think that I have given in. I'm sure that once I started using one most of what little control I have would soon go. At least with pads I feel more in control, if I start to have leaks then perhaps I would need to reconsider.

andyabandy

by andyabandy on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:50 pm

My incontinence advisor recommended sheaths and I tried them for a few months but I found them painful and uncomfortable not to mention awkward in just about every situation. I was advised I could wear them day and night but during the day the tube (in whatever configuration I tried) would pull and caused soreness. I also had some embarrassing leakage problems with the sheath. I then switched to pads during the day and tried the sheath just at night but I ended up having numerous bladder infections and the tube would always get pulled or get in the way waking me up. I gave up and now just use pads. Apart from a few occasional rashes they are much comfier, and I have very few leaks. I don't use pull up type as they don't really come very absorbent and I find the taped type much easier to change when out and about.

RobbieUK

by RobbieUK on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:38 pm

I have tried many sheaths, any company that was offering free samples I tried. Most of them were either uncomfortable to wear or would cause rashes, A correct fit is essential and most companies offering samples will send out a measure to ensure a correct fit. I thought I had found the answer to my problems when I settled for one particular kind, but same old story a rash developed and back to square one. I then discovered a sheath that up to now has never let me down during the day, I don't use a night bag and so I use a pad, but no rash of any kind at last. I can only stress try as many makes of sheaths that you can by using the manufacturers freebies and make sure you measure yourself. Hope this works for you.

4 posts