Bladder botox

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
colin2138

by colin2138 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:10 pm

Bladder botox

I've been having problems for a few years now and was diagnosed with overactive bladder after urodinamics testing. I don't know why it happens I am fairly young and as fit as a butchers dog. I've been bedwetting and suffering bouts of urgency because of my problem and am at my wits end. I am due to have bladder botox in feb, how successful is this procedure and will it help or will I be stuck wearing pads at night time forever.

andyabandy

by andyabandy on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:58 pm

Re: Bladder botox

From what I understand, and I stand to be corrected, it has mixed success rate and does need to be redone fairly regularly. I considered it but decided against it on the basis of its success rate, side effects and the fact that wearing pads is not really any more difficult than wearing normal underwear and would probably have to wear them in any case after the botox.

Robert117

by Robert117 on Sun May 31, 2015 12:06 am

Re: Bladder botox

Had botox for the first time in December. For the first couple of weeks, things were worse than before. After that I noticed a reduction in leaks - the pads would not get so wet; but I have never stopped leaking and been able to stop wearing them, which for me was the main point, and some four months later I feel the benefit is pretty much over. A big problem has been retention - more than 750 mls for a while, and having a number of infections from using ISC which results in in 'rank smelling' urine that is not effectively deodorised for long by the pads. I am seriously considering not bothering with it again, though I will ask about other possibilities. I am also concerned at the dependence on antibiotics that can result and the fact that it requires frequent returns to hospital for further treatment. The thought which makes me hesitant is that at times the pads I use (big hourglass shaped ones with mesh pants) are inadequate and I have faced potentially very serious embarrassment with wet trousers.Incidentally I was told I recieved a 200ml botox treatment. Maybe it would have been more longer lasting with a higher dose.

3 posts