Abnormal bladder

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
gilly2111

by gilly2111 on Wed May 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Abnormal bladder

I have had problems with my water works for years now and only 2 months ago had a kidney infection. And iam going the loo about 20-30 times a day. My doctor doesn't seemed bothered about this but it is so embarrassing because when I have to go I have to go I also have leakage and sometimes don't make it to the loo. I have other things as well as just the water works but any advice would be great
Thanks all x

Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: Abnormal bladder

Dear Gilly,

thank you for posting your question, I realise that this is a sensitive issue and appreciate you taking the time to do this.
The symptoms you have detailed are explained as urinary incontinence, an unintentional passing of urine. Although a sensitive subject, it is extremely common with between 3-6million suffering from some degree of it in the UK alone.

The two most common types of urinary incontinence are:
- stress incontinence - this is where urine leaks when the bladder is under pressure e.g. when a cough / sneeze occurs
- urge incontinence - this is when urine leaks as you feel a sudden, intense urge to pass urine.

Urge incontinence often occurs as part of overactive bladder syndrome (OAB) which also includes the need to pass urine very frequently (including during the night). From what you describe Gilly, I believe that your symptoms fall into this category.

Causes of urge incontinence may be due to problems with the detrusor muscles in the walls of the bladder. These detrusor muscles relax to allow your bladder to fill with urine then contract when you urinate to let the urine out. Sometimes the muscles contract too often creating an urgent need to go to the toilet which can be due to:
- drinking too much alcohol / caffeine
- poor fluid intake (therefore the urine becomes potent and irritates the walls of the bladder)
- constipation
- urinary tract infections
- certain medicines

Your risk of urinary incontinence are also increased when you have family history, increased age and lower urinary tract symptoms.

It is important to get a clinical diagnosis from your GP. They may ask you to keep a bladder diary, so while waiting for your GP appointment it may be useful to record:
- how much fluid you are drinking
- what types of fluid you are drinking
- how often you are passing urine
- how much urine you are passing
- how many episodes of incontinence you experience

You have also mentioned you have other issues apart from the symptoms you have explained, you may post an additional question if you wish regarding these or alternatively, please discuss them with your GP at your appointment.

Kindest regards,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

2 posts