Bladder Diverticula

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
jjslinkey

by jjslinkey on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Bladder Diverticula

Hey everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation?

I'm a 29 year old chap who has just been diagnosed with two massive bladder diverticula. The history and background is, Two years ago I was admitted to hospital with a very bad UTI that just would not shift. Eventually after loads of scans and investigations the diverticula were found.

There is evidence of back pressure in to my kidneys that has the potential to damage them, and they could eventually fail. (There is no time line on how much damage could be caused and when.)
On top of this it has all so been found that my bladder does not constrict as it should, causing further urine retention. Roughly about 250-350ml after voiding my bladder.

At the moment I am being thought how to self catatherise to void my bladder, and reduce the back pressure.

So there is an operation I can get to remove the diverticula, reducing the back pressure on my kidneys. Has anyone here had that type of operation before? I would really like to find more out about it from a patients point of view. How the recovery went, ect.

I know I will always have to self cathaterise after the operation, which to be honest upsets me more than it probably should. And unfortunately it has affected me. I am scared because of potential kidney damage, upset because as a young, fit man I never thought I would have to self catatherise. I know I’m more than likely not the only young person to find themselves in a situation like this, so I feel guilty for feeling upset about and all.