alt to incont pads?

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
mickey

by mickey on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:26 pm

alt to incont pads?

Hello, I have been using incont pads at night for a while but getting a bit fed up with them.
Is there anything better? My wife says I move and turn over a lot in my sleep.

Gp offered me a sheath ,tube and bag thing. But I was always worried I would pull it off in my sleep

Thanks
Mickey

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:08 am

Re: alt to incont pads?

Hello Mickey

Thank you for joining talkhealth. I hope that others with continence will come into the forum and perhaps shed some light on the options open to you other than using pads.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Bill Adder

by Bill Adder on Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi Mickey!
Sorry to hear you're feeling down, but I may have a few suggestions that can help.
Have a think about the symptoms you are experiencing, i.e. the frequency, volume lost and rough timing. This can give you a clearer idea of the protection that would suit you best. There are a few different options on the pad front, and the different brands seem to fit different bodyshapes better. So ones that work well for some may work less well for others. Finding the right one can make the difference between hiding at home or going out, able to forget the problem for a while and concentrate on other things. Some of the better suppliers I have found online will sell samples for around 10p-£1, so it is cheap and easy to find out which ones work best for you.
There are also other approaches to solving the problem, such as the one taken by Afex at imedicare.eu (not sure if we're allowed to post links, so I left off the W's). This may work well for you, although I'm not sure how it deals with lying down. I'm sure they could send you info if you ask.
The sheaths can be a good way to deal with it, and to avoid pulling anything loose I would recommend wearing sporty undies over the top. Lycra can hold things in place without using a tight band of elastic, so less chance of a kink or a pinch blockage. The straps on leg bags are pretty robust, so will stay in place and stop any pulling on the connection. If you are not losing much volume, some sheaths can be used independantly of the leg bag, they have their own valve.

I hope this helps, or at least give you an idea of where to look. :)

Bill.

Daniels

by Daniels on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:01 pm

I have suffered from incontinence due to an enlarged prostrate. I used to need to pee often and needed to go immediately, or I'd wet my self.
I used to leek and took to wearing baby’s Pampas in my underpants.
In October I contacted Afex iMedicare, and they came and saw me and gave me free samples of their devices, which consisted of a funnel (receptacle) a pair of elesticated briefs to hold the receptacle, and a urine collection bag, which was attached to the end of the receptacle, hanging between my thighs. This was ideal as I could pee any time I needed too. I persuaded my doctor to prescribe the devices as well as buying extras so that I had spares in case of accidents
BUT
The bag suffered from air getting in, and not allowing the urine to flow through, so the receptacle would fill up and over flow over my crutch and clothing. I had several bags split at the seams, and in one case in my local shop, where the bag separated from the receptacle, and slid down my trouser leg onto the floor spilling urine onto the floor.
Two weeks ago I got to hear of Rochester Medical in Lancing, which I rung, and after consultation, they supplied me with a fortnight’s supply of adhesive sheaves, collection bags. I have had no “accidents” and I wear the sheave 24/7 using a leg bag during the day, and a night bag when in bed. I now feel liberated, and nobody knows.

Bryan

jackflaming

by jackflaming on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 pm

One alternative is the use of a mattress pad that we usually use for our children. There are many benefits of the use of a mattress protector one of these is the protection it offers to your bed and mattress. Even if you are not using an incontinence pad or diaper in the night, your mattress pad will protect your mattress and as it absorbs the water, it will help you in getting a good night sleep.

Jack

5 posts