over active bladder

Moderator: talkhealth

10 posts
Belinda

by Belinda on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:03 pm

over active bladder

Hi,

I'm only 51, but have just had a real bad case of over active bladder. Last year I badly bruised my coccyx which I believe possibly damaged a nerve(s) which has perhaps contributed to OAB. I was so desperate that I went to the Dr who prescribed an awful drug called oxybutynin - I only managed to take this for 2 weeks then gave up as my eyes were going - blurred vision/fuzzy head.

Since then, I've been avoiding various irritants: milk/sweeteners/strawberries/courgettes and of course, caffeine. I now drink 4-6 glasses of water a day with the odd cup of coffee when I know I have access to a WC. Along with pelvic floor exercises and bladder training, I am now in control again, hopefully for good.

I just wondered if anyone else avoids certain foods/drinks that might be irritating the bladder to the extreme. And, whether anyone knows why this condition suddenly happens.

Any help advice greatly appreciated.
Txs.

B&BF

by B&BF on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Re: over active bladder

Hello Belinda

Its good to hear that you are now back in control, but should you find yourself needing advice again you may like to call our Helpline 0845 345 0165 for further information/advice.

Alternatively you may like to visit our website http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org We have a wide range of information on bladder problems including Overactive bladder.
The Bladder & Bowel Foundation (B&BF)

Helpline: 0845 345 0165
General enquiries: 01536 533255
Email: info@bladderandbowelfoundation.org
http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org

miniaturemb

by miniaturemb on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:42 am

Hi Belinda,
It's been a few months since you posted and I wondered how you were getting on? I've not heard of anything irritating the bladder except caffeine and alcohol so was surprised when you mentioned milk, sweetener, etc - where did you get that information from or was it personal experience?
I've recently been prescribed an antimuscarinic for OAB and am terrified to start taking it because of the side effects - there doesn't seem to be a good time to start having dry mouth, dry eyes, blurry vision, insomnia, tiredness and constipation but at the same time, my OAB which I've had my whole life (had a urethral stretch when I was 8 which didn't seem to make any difference) has significantly worsened since having a child and delivering vaginally. I think I'm going to try the medication but I haven't plucked up the courage to start it.
Were you on modified release or quick acting oxybutynin? Did you end up going back to your doctor and trying anything else?
Any advice from ANYONE who has taken these drugs would be really useful.
Regards,
M

Lilyrose

by Lilyrose on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi Belinda and M,

I have an overactive bladder and avoid certain drinks that I know irritate it. I have completely cut out drinks with alcohol or caffeine (I confess to being partial to eating chocolate and have only cut that out for short periods of time and did not notice significant improvements). I have also cut out carbonated drinks and drinks containing sweeteners. I've heard that acidic or spicy food can be unhelpful so I try not to eat too much of that, but I'm not sure if it does much. :-s Also, sugary food I've heard may be a trigger. I don't think there are necessarily hard and fast rules (and I haven't heard any strong agreement between the medical staff I've come accross on what foods to avoid), so perhaps it's different from person to person? Try and see what works for you.

I have taken a few medications and currently use oxybutinin transdermal patches (Kentera) which you stick to your abdomen, along with oral fesoteridine (Tovias). The oxybutinin is ok, though when using patches alone (ie without oral med) I was needing two at a time which was a bit uncomfortable (sometimes they itched or irritated my skin, but this is much improved by leaving the patch with sticky side open to the air for a minute or two before sticking it onto your skin - top tip!!) Unfortunately, though most medications are either intolerable (causing urinary retention) or lose their efficacy after a few months. I have appointments for some tibial nerve stimulation soon.

Belinda - I hope you are still doing well. These things are often long-term in management and outcomes.

M - How are you getting on with your medication, did you try it? Unfortunately nothing is perfect so there will always be side effects, but they vary from person to person so no other way to find out how you do other than try it. A good clinic/consultant will try lots of different approaches and different medications as there are actually lots out there.

I haven't found an answer yet, but I think we always need to keep pursuing it!

jacck123

by jacck123 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:03 am

hi
its sounds good that you have over come from it , Always check with your doctor before taking any herbal supplements. They can interact with medicines you are taking and cause unintended side effects.

be careful

Expressive Therapy For Depression
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL not allowed: Removed

maraulaj

by maraulaj on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:07 pm

I have had an overactive bladder now for years and was prescribed vesicare 10 mg which I took nightly. I now find that since having a knee replacement and being off sick for 3 months, it is so much more worse having to get up sometime 6x per night. I feel absolutely exhausted by the morning of 12 hours later, I have also found out by accident a few months ago I have ckd stage 2 . Is this all linked? What can I do?

maraulaj

by maraulaj on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:32 pm

maraulaj wrote:I have had an overactive bladder now for years and was prescribed vesicare 10 mg which I took nightly. I now find that since having a knee replacement and being off sick for 3 months, it is so much more worse having to get up sometime 6x per night. I feel absolutely exhausted by the morning of 12 hours later, I have also found out by accident a few months ago I have ckd stage 2 . Is this all linked? What can I do?

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:42 am

These are fundamentally used to treat individuals with stress incontinence. Be that as it may, these activities may likewise assist with letting the side effects free from encourage incontinence. You press your pelvic floor muscles like you are attempting to stop the progression of pee. Do this for 3 to 5 seconds, and afterward unwind for 5 seconds.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:09 am

You can buy TENA Silhouette Incontinence underwear that are so reliable and self absorbing you'll no longer have to worry about your problem with incontinence.

I hope this helps.

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:36 am

Overactive bladder is an assortment of side effects that might influence how frequently you pee and your desperation. Causes incorporate stomach injury, contamination, nerve harm, drugs and certain liquids. Treatment incorporates changing specific ways of behaving, meds and nerve excitement

10 posts