Stress Incontinence & being overweight ;o( HELP

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
mummybair

by mummybair on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:33 pm

Stress Incontinence & being overweight ;o( HELP

Evening

I'm sat feeling very sorry for myself as I have had a cough for a few days, nothing too bad but is making me miserable, I'm disgusted with myself, because I can not hold on when coughing, there is no control. Every cough there's significant leakage and pads aren't doing the job.

I'm a 41 yr old single mum of two. My whole adult life I've been overweight - and I'd say for the last 10 years I've had leakage, probably 8 years wearing pads. Over the years it has got worse & dread getting a cough/cold, sneezing especially in the hay-fever season. I had gastroenteritis last year and was wetting myself whilst vomiting & again this evening with this cough. I sit at my desk at work scared that I may over fill my pad. My social life is the best its been in years through divorce :D however I can't enjoy or relax. I don't trust myself having a drink in the pub without having an accident through laughter or just stumbling because I'm merry.

I did approach the doctor about it 3-5 years ago. I left with my tail between my legs as I was dismissed, the problem was/is my weight. Yes, no doubt this doesn't help, I'm under no illusion- but I'm getting desperate. There must be something that can help me to stop or reduce the wetting. I'm reluctant to go back to the GP with being sent away.

Any suggestions? Many thanks

jerrysmith677

by jerrysmith677 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Stress Incontinence & being overweight ;o( HELP

You should try to reduce your weight first. I know it is very difficult, but you have to do this if you want to get rid of incontinence. Give one more chance to a good doctor to help your incontinence. Wear quality diapers and pads.
Last edited by admin on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed as advertising products - advertising not permitted in these forums. See forum rules.

B&BF

by B&BF on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Re: Stress Incontinence & being overweight ;o( HELP

Hello

You may find the bladder and Bowel Foundation website a useful resource. We have information on SUI and treatment options.http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.or ... inence.asp

We also run a clinical helpline where you can speak to a health professional confidentially. The number is 0845 345 0165.

You may also like to know that we have recently launched a Facebook campaign called 'Love Your Gusset!' to raise awareness of SUI amongst women and teenagers. You can visit the page here https://www.facebook.com/LoveYourGusset

Kind regards
The Bladder & Bowel Foundation (B&BF)

Helpline: 0845 345 0165
General enquiries: 01536 533255
Email: info@bladderandbowelfoundation.org
http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org

3 posts