night time bed wetting - PLEASE HELP!

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
drsadcock

by drsadcock on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:20 pm

night time bed wetting - PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

I have come on this forum because I don't know what else to do. My husband has recently started wetting the bed frequently and though I have quizzed him about it he puts it down to his job and moves on from the subject. He is too embarrassed to talk about it seriously and will not go to the doctors about it either so I am stuck with trying to find a diagnosis myself on the internet to work out if the condition is serious and what can possibly be done to help him.
If anyone on here can help me and point me in the right direction, or if they can think of any way that perhaps I can try and broach the subject with him that will make him talk to me about it please can you help. I have no issues really with the bedwetting, I have issues with the fact that we can't discuss it and was hoping that someone on here might have had a similar experience themselves with their husbands or wives who can relate to this.
He does not wet himself in the day, only in bed and is frequently tired and sleeps, when he does, increasingly restlessly and this can be attributed to sleep apnea. He drinks alcohol but not excessively and does have a stressful job as a chef. However, I cannot begin to try and diagnose him but would be grateful if someone could share their experience of how they finally came to terms with and accepted and opened up about an experience such as bedwetting as this will at least give me some hope. And perhaps those that know more about the symptoms I have described can point toward a more reliable diagnosis.

A very worried wife

laurence79

by laurence79 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Re: night time bed wetting - PLEASE HELP!

I stated to wet my bed again about six years ago. To begin with it was only at night, then I started to have problems during the day. It is important that your husband knows he is not alone, so forums like this are good.
To start with at the very least you need to protect your mattress. For me a started to wear protection at nighttime after only a few accidents. Wearing pads and nappies is not easy and embarrassing, however it is bad enough that I am wetting myself, without my wife having to suffer as well. Even if they are worn just in case, they at least will make a difference. I know that having to go back to wearing nappies at night isn't very manly, but neither is peeing on your wife.
I know it will be really hard, but he needs to see his GP to get checked out. There are lots of treatments available and they will hopefully be able to rule out any life threatening conditions. It us always best to get treatment early
He also needs to know that it is not just old peplle who have this issue, I am 46 and my problems started when I was 40.

Good luck!

danakerr

by danakerr on Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: night time bed wetting - PLEASE HELP!

Hello, I am wondering why you can't discuss this with medical professionals. It's totally okay, I promise. :)
The easiest solution is to encourage him to wear an adult diaper at night. Next, work on the reasons and solution of his stress and depression. There might not be an easy resolution, but you can try some relaxing organic natural essential oils like chamomile, rosemary, endoca and tea tree before going to sleep. All these can uplift his mood before retiring to bed, thus, will result to lesser tendency to wet your bed.

5 posts