First time I ever told anyone - my wife

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
elpuerco

by elpuerco on Fri May 09, 2014 5:03 am

First time I ever told anyone - my wife

I'm 55 and have suffered urinary urge incontinence for the last 25 years. My issue/concern is that my incontinence comes and goes, but now it is getting worse. I've gone through periods of 3 or more years without any problems. I know that the episodes occur during periods of stress and I've been able to keep it a secret because I travel away from home on business frequently. After a 2 year remission, it's back but harder to control. Again, I believe it's stress related. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed as bi-polar (I was told the mild form and it does run in the family.) I always felt I was, and take medication to control it. I exercise eat right and see my doctor regularly. However, I've never discussed my problem with him because it comes and goes. My wife of 30 years never knew until she found a pad. What a shock!!! My urge incontinence has gotten worse and I've had to go from the shields to diapers (not because she found out). At least the diapers don't seem to be visible and hold urine well. I joined this forum because I need to talk about my incontinence. I can't express what a relief it was to finally admit my condition to my wife. She was blindsided and doesn't want to deal with it. She's occupied with taking care of her mother's health issues and isn't in a position to deal with mine. I'm okay with that. I just need to deal with the fact that this not going away and the possibility I won't be able to control it anymore. I'm okay with using diapers and in fact it has given me more confidence. I don't want to take medication to control the problem and I'm okay using diapers. Just being able to finally have the courage to discuss this is like having a huge boulder removed from my shoulder.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but this is my first time.

I've scheduled an appointment with my doctor to finally let him know. I know he's going to send me to a urologist for some nasty tests, but I already know it's just the way I'm built.

2 posts