Concerned I may have a tape worm or thread worms

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
GemmaDixon

by GemmaDixon on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:37 pm

Concerned I may have a tape worm or thread worms

I went to see a Corectal Consultant a few days ago as I have been passing (I think) mucus for a while now when I open my bowls and occasionally throughout the day… I had been especially concerned the few days leading up to the appointment, having noticed the mucus being very white in colour and, sorry to be graphic, but very gooey/stringy. I think it has been like this for a while now but it’s suddenly come to my attention more recently - perhaps there’s just more of it so it’s become more noticeable to me. I've definitely had mucus for a few months but I don't think so much so like this. I'm just a bit worried that it may not actually be mucus, but possibly thread worms instead, or even a tapeworm. I’ve been abroad the past couple of months in Asia so that may increase the likelihood of recently getting a tapeworm infection. However I’ve also struggled gaining weight after loosing weight a few years ago now, which I understand can be symptom of having a tapeworm too.

After examining my back passage, the consultant said he doesn’t think I have anything to worry about, but I still feel a bit concerned because I’m not sure I stressed to him enough that I’m not sure whether it is actually mucus or not. I might not have been descriptive enough! I feel a bit uncomfortable going back to him though since he dismissed me before so I would hugely appreciate some guidance with determining what it may be! Perhaps I’m just being a massive hypochondriac but I know it would put my mind more at ease knowing what it is! Thank you.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Re: Concerned I may have a tape worm or thread worms

Hi GemmaDixon,

Welcome to the talkhealth forums and thanks for your post.

We are sorry to hear about the problems you have been having. If you are at all concerned, it may be worth going back to your GP and explaining the situation in full to see if they can further assist you.

Do let us know how you get on.

Thanks,
The talkhealth Team
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts