Diverticular Disease

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
exiledred

by exiledred on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Diverticular Disease

Way back in 1977 I was diagnosed with IBS. At that time I was living and working in London and had a stressful job.

I was prescribed initially with lomotil which gave me headaches and since then I have been taking a mix of loperamide and codeine phosphate.

The symptoms subsided somewhat then in October 2015 the 2 yearly bowel cancer screening showed an abnormal result. A subsequent colonoscopy revealed a cancerous tumour at the top of my large bowel next to my appendix. I had surgery on 29 December 2015 to remove the tumour. 30% of my large bowel was removed. My IBS was reasonably under control but I continued to take codeine phosphate but at a reduced dosage.

During 2016 I had quarterly CEA blood tests, a CT scan then in November I had another colonoscopy. This thankfully detected no sign of cancer but confirmed I have extensive diverticular disease and my bowel habits have become unpredictable once again with urgency, in particular after food.

I have read the helpful booklet given to me at the hospital which refers to a high fibre diet etc.

Are there any other steps I can take to help me with this problem? I am continuing to take 1 codeine phosphate tablet 3 times a day.

As an aside a CT scan I had last September showed fatty tissue around my liver.I am having an MRI on 2 February for further investigation.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Re: Diverticular Disease

Hello and thank you for posting your story in our forum.

How did your MRI go on the 2nd Feb?
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

exiledred

by exiledred on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 pm

I am still waiting for the results

exiledred

by exiledred on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:10 pm

I have now received written confirmation from my consutant.

The MRI scan revealed a lipoma, fatty tissue around my liver. But nothing significant.

Also a large stone in my gall bladder but the ducts are clear.

So its onwards and upwards with quarterly CEA blood tests and a CT scan scheduled for November.

The NHS has come in for a lot of criticism lately. But I cannot fault the treatment and care I am receiving from my consultant and the colo-rectal nursing team.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:32 am

Thank you for letting us know your results.

In terms of treatment have you been given any other advice?

#talkhealth team.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

exiledred

by exiledred on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:19 pm

The fatty lump in my liver is benign and needs no further follow up or intervention.

Should the large gallstone cause any symptoms related to it, right upper quadrant abdominal pain I should approach my GP to seek appropriate referral

My recent blood CEA level was normal at 2.2.

6 posts