Questions About My Father's Bowel Issues

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Jetski76

by Jetski76 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Questions About My Father's Bowel Issues

Hello,

Thank you for reading my message.

My father is 81, lives alone in India. On September 22 and 23, he had to apply some force to pass stool. Once he sat in the commode and the stool was about to be passed, he felt pain in his left and right abdomen and his rectal area. The pain subsided immediately after the stool was passed. The color of the stool was same as always (brown), but the stool was hard.

He called his Gastroentologist on September 24. He was asked to take 2 teaspoons of Cremadiet (fiber supplement) with water before sleeping at night. His symptoms improved but he still felt that he had to apply some force and the pain was still there when he was passing stools like before, although less. The color of the stool was same as before (brown), but as expected, the stool is less hard with the fiber supplement. Like before, the pain subsided immediately after the stool is passed. He is able to do his daily activities without any issues.

He saw his Gastroentologist in person on September 29. When I spoke to the Gastroentologist, he said that after examining my father (rectal test, pressing on the abdomen and asking my father if it pains), nothing seemed out of place. He has ordered an Ultrasound of Abdomen and will see him again next Saturday with results.

My father had a stool test as part of his regular physicals (once every six months) from his primary care physician on September 13. The stool test was normal. The Gastroentologist said he will order a stool test and further testing after seeing the results of the Ultrasound.

My father had a similar problem in Dec 2015. He saw the same Gastroentologist at that time. An ultrasound and Colonoscopy was done and they were normal. His symptoms resolved after taking the fiber supplement for a month. Since then, he had no trouble with his stool. He goes daily once in the morning. The stool color is brown and the texture is soft. There is no need to apply any force and there is no pain. This changed as of September 22.

My father is 5 ft 3, 123 lbs, a waist size of 36.5 inches. Every day, he walks for about 90 minutes and uses his exercise bike for about 30 minutes.He eats about 1800 calories a day - 280 grams of carbs, 50 grams of protein, 60 grams of fat and 40 grams of fiber. His diet is wheat bread, brown rice, fruits, nuts , vegetables and milk. He sticks to his daily routine fairly well.

As per the latest physical, his blood pressure, sugar, urine tests were all normal, but his LDL Cholesterol was 115 (elevated the first time).

Questions:
1) Does my father's symptoms indicate a serious condition with his Upper or lower GI?

2) Any connection between the elevated LDL and constipation?

3) My father has prostatitis. Is the Constipation connected to that and he should see his Urologist?

Thank you,
Zent

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: Questions About My Father's Bowel Issues

Hi Jetski76

Thank you for your post. We are sorry to hear about your father's troubles. We would recommend that he seek advice from his doctor and await the outcome of the tests that are planned. Please do let us know how your father progresses.

kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts