ongoing bowel issues at 21

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
kaytee88

by kaytee88 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 pm

ongoing bowel issues at 21

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum and hoping someone can help or relate in some way. I'm a 21 year old female diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2013 and I maintain a strict gluten-free diet. Because of this I've dealt with many issues related to constipation, bloating, diarrhea, etc. most of which has been managed. However, this past June things took a turn for the worse and I started experiencing severe stomach pains and cramps, mostly localized to the lower left abdomen with some radiation up to the left side, left back, and naval area. Along with this I was experiencing long bouts of constipation, with about one bowel movement a week (and even then, I would hardly count it as a movement). These pains will come and go and whereas at first I had some good days, now every day is a struggle. Sometimes I can't even stand up straight without being in severe pain. I have been to my GI and primary care physician and all my tests have come back normal (basic metabolic panel, CBC, CT scan and X-Ray), except for showing some moderate constipation which I already knew. I've been taking Citrucel which has helped with bowel movement, but recently I've been having attacks of diarrhea or extreme pain before having to use the bathroom. I've also had three instances of red streaks in my stool which I think is blood although I'm not sure if it's undigested red food. Along with this my stomach is spasming and gurgling and doing all sorts of weird things.

I figured all this pain was coming from being constipated, but that issue seems to be resolved for now and I am still in so much pain. I'm a senior in college and it's been extremely hard to focus on school. I am scheduled for a flexible sigmoidoscopy tomorrow where hopefully I can get some more answers, but I am just so worried that everything will come back clean again, which I know would be a good thing but I'll just be right back where I started.

Thanks so much for reading!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: ongoing bowel issues at 21

Hi Kaytee88

Thank you so much for your post. Sorry to hear of your troubles and that nothing as yet has given a clear diagnosis. Hopefully the sigmoidoscopy will give you some answers. We would recommend that you keep returning to your GP until you get the answers that you want.

Do let us know how you get on.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts