bowel problems

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

11 posts
dolphin

by dolphin on Fri May 11, 2012 12:04 am

bowel problems

Hi to all

I already have overactive bladder now I have bowel incontinence in two days I have had to change
my clothes twice which is very embarrassing to say the least and is causing emotional
Problems to say the least and ralationship problems too how do I deal with these aspects does
anyone have any information that would be useful to me please or advise.

Thank you for reading my post.

Dolphin.

onelastrefrain

by onelastrefrain on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:47 am

Re: bowel problems

Have you tried asking for counselling? That was one of the things that helped me a little in the last year :) Also, if you get a partner, or have one, try and get to know them more first, and explain that you have an illness but you'd rather not say what it is? Then, if you feel that you're more comfortable around them, say it straight out. I told my partner last year about my situation and he was just grateful I told him :)
But ask your doctor for some counselling to deal with this kind of thing.

B&BF

by B&BF on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Hello

The Bladder and Bowel Foundation have a lot of information on bowel problems including faecal incontinence which you may find useful. Try these links http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.or ... oblems.asp and http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.or ... inence.asp.

We also have a confidential Helpline which you may want to contact for advice, 0845 345 0165.
The Bladder & Bowel Foundation (B&BF)

Helpline: 0845 345 0165
General enquiries: 01536 533255
Email: info@bladderandbowelfoundation.org
http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org

Ricc1948

by Ricc1948 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:33 pm

I've recently started suffering from fecal incontinence and have been trawling the internet for information. It saddens me to find that so many people find this subject very difficult to talk about. I've even seen it called the "the last taboo".
Wouldn't it be helpful if people could be more open about this and share their ideas about ways of coping? I know that there are many concerned professionals out there but surely contact with fellow-sufferers could also be very useful and encouraging?

jasslim1

by jasslim1 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:20 pm

It saddens me to see when i joined this site only a few people wanted to talk :( I'v suffered with my bowls for over 35 years & i do understand how so many people can feel alone, isolated, anxious, depressed, avoid social occasions, everyday activities, relationships & can't talk to others because of embarrassment .... Bowl problems effect over 53 million people of all ages & gender in Europe making it more prevalent than many well known diseases. WHY are we still letting this be a taboo subject everyone goes to toilet just we have a problem with that part of our body like anyone with any other illness in any other part of there body.
COME ON TALK TO OTHERS ON HERE THIS IS WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR DON'T FEEL EMBARRASSED & ALONE LET'S STOP LETTING THIS BE A TABOO SUBJECT IN THIS DAY AND AGE.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:50 am

Hello everyone - it is very frustrating that people feel embarrassed about posting in our forums, particularly as when people sign up they can choose a username that gives them some anonymity.

You may also be interested to know, and not sure how many of you are over the age of 50, but we have an online clinic on 50+ health running from next week with a panel of medical experts on hand to answer questions. You can post your questions now. http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... s_2013.php

Hope this may help some of you.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

christinelh65

by christinelh65 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Several years ago i hosted a bowel cat via incontact it was a wednesday night and we had quite a few people but alas when we amalgameted with B&B it ended due to lack of funds but it stiill will help any sufferers to post on here after all no one knows you and it is cofidential write a note do not suffer in in silence there is lots of help available i have had one major surgery for inco of bowel and one miner procedure both are brilliant

alwire13

by alwire13 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:07 pm

My Mum has diverticular disease and suffers really badly with bouts of diarrhoea. Sometimes in a morning she has to go to the toilet 4 times before lunchtime. This stops her from going out in case she has an accident and is both painful and embarrassing for her as her teenage Grandchildren have seen her in distress and have helped her to sort everything out when she has had one of her accidents. One of her biggest problems is that she doesn't get to see the same GP at every visit so she is given different medication and advice each time she attends an appointment. On her last visit tablets she was prescribed by one GP were taken off her and she was told that she shouldn't have been given them as they would do her no good. She has recently had a colonoscopy and 2 biopsys which showed nothing. The pain is still there and the accidents still happen. Anyone any ideas of where to go next? Please!!

A-Chair-man

by A-Chair-man on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi,

I recently was sent for a Colonoscopy by my GP due to changes in my bowel routine. I have the additional complication of a spinal injury. Bowel management has always been an issue despite the advice from Stoke Spinal Unit. I would like to share with everyone my experiences regarding the Colonoscopy. I had heard from friends who had been through the experience both disabled and able bodied and all said the 'jollop' they have you drink 24hrs before the Colonoscopy to clear you out was a nightmare. Bearing in mind I have no sensation when I need to go the thought of taking the bowel prep was a nightmare. Fortunately the Colorectal Team were very approachable and we jointly came up with a manageable plan. On the day of the procedure I emptied my bowels in the usual way. In theory this empties the last bit of your bowel (descending colon if you believe the literature). I then went to a local Colonic therapist for a full Colonic to empty the remainder of my large intestine (this cost £60) but worth it if the alternative was a strong laxative and numerous bowl accidents as I wouldn't have been to get to the toilet quick enough even if I had known I needed to go. Then for the Colonoscopy - the Colorectal surgeon commented on how 'squeaky clean' my bowel was and said that many American Colorectal Centres actually offer full colonics prior to similar investigations and all without the traumatic bowel prep – Yeah way to go! :)

When they do the Colonoscopy they pump air into your bowel as part of the procedure so they can get a better look. It’s not a problem for most able bodied people to expel this air in the usual way but ask the person doing the procedure to do it for you if like me it would cause you discomfort, its a simple matter for them to do at the time and will save you that bloated feeling! I hope this helps others out there facing the same issues?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unauthorised URL promoting external site - See forum rules.

Nellysierra12

by Nellysierra12 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:16 am

You can try training yourself for bowel movements at certain times during the day—such as after meals. This may take time but after a pattern is set, it will be easy. pelvic floor exercises and biofeedback or electric stimulation for bowel control. Hope this helps.

11 posts