need to defecate every hour throughout the night every night

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
optimist

by optimist on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:10 am

need to defecate every hour throughout the night every night

For the last few years I have been unable to sleep through the night because from an hour after falling asleep, I am woken up with pressure in my rectum, telling me that I need to have a bowel movement. Sometimes this is easy but mostly I have trouble finishing as I feel there is still faecal matter left inside me.
I go back to bed, fall asleep and approximately one hour later, the same thing happens. This goes on throughout the night. I spend most nights standing up as it is painful for me to lie down with a rectum that is not empty. I have been diagnosed with diverticulosis but have had no help in dealing with this unusual problem which is leaving me exhausted, particularly when I am still having bowel movements throughout the day as well. I have a healthy diet and eat glutin-free bread; I also drink plenty of water.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:46 am

Re: need to defecate every hour throughout the night every n

Hi optimist,

Thank you for your post on the forum, it sounds like your diverticulitis is really effecting your quality of life given that you are unable to get a full nights sleep. This must be really difficult for you to cope with.

Sadly, we are unable to give any specific medical advice but recommend that you go back to your doctor and explain what is going on. Hopefully your doctor can help address all of these issues or at least discuss how you best deal with the symptoms you are experiencing.

regards

talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:17 pm

Re: need to defecate every hour throughout the night every night

It could be the way you rest your body as you sleep. I have this issue when i eat before bed time, or i have eaten a lot of junk food throughout the day. When we are warm in bed its more likely that the digestive system is being worked. When we rest the digestive system is still going to it.
Pay attention to what you eat and when you eat before bedtime. Coffee and hot chocolate drinks can make things worse.

3 posts