Can one meal change your Bowel habit for good ?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
frustratedandnoidea

by frustratedandnoidea on Thu May 04, 2023 7:08 pm

Can one meal change your Bowel habit for good ?

About two years ago (August 2021), I went to a wedding. There was lots of spicy food. I've always had a bit of delicate constitution . Chocolate cake sometimes had a tendency to pass through me since I was a kid, and spicy food.......... Well, if I ate chilli sauce for example, I'd have real strong tummy ache, pressure sensations in my bum when pooing, and even though I'd finished pooing, my bum still felt like it was on full evacuation alert, even though nothing or very little would come out.

So, I went to this wedding, and had spicy lamb kebab.

3am , I was up and off for a poo. Same symptoms as normal. Strong tummy ache and cramps, soft burning poo's followed finally by pressure in my bum like I was about to pass a rock but nothing actually came out and very smelly farts .

Then again at 9:00am which is normal for me after eating spicy food. However, the poos got wetter, and I did another around lunch time, and another around 4:00 in the evening. All the same symptoms. I did think this was odd, as I've never had this go on for that long. Anyway, that was that....or so I thought.

Next day was the same. The day after was the same.

Gradually over a week , the 3:00am poos stopped, the burning stopped and they started hardening off a bit. However what did remain was this urgency for a poo literally 10 mins after waking up and an inability to hold on to it. But when I'd go, barely anything would come out, except a bit of gooey wet poo and I'd get tummy cramps and bum pressure after doing it. I'd always go again about 9:30 religiously (soon as I got to work) and the poo would be more solid and bigger, but still soft, and still with tummy cramps etc. I was now going 3 times a day . I never used to .

It has been like this for two years now, although recently I fluctuate between 1 poo a day to 3 a day.

So now nearly two years later, I'm still not right, but it varies. Sometimes I poo once a day, sometimes its 3 times. I still get tummy cramps first thing in the morning, and a pressure sensation in my bum, before and after pooing , but I'm able to hold onto it now.

Although I went about a month where I had no tummy cramps after taking GI well powder, but it came back not longer after I stopped.

My farts still stink. My poos are always soft. Can't remember the last time I had a nice big one piece solid poo with no side effects .

I've also noticed in the past 4 months I have more of an intolerance of coffee. I can't drink a full mug anymore without sitting heavy on my tummy, as do certain foods like thick cut chips. I've also been feeling slightly fluey in the mornings sometimes which fades by lunchtime, and had spells of nausea. But these spells of Nausea have fizzled off now. Occasionally I get them.
This past week though during a festival, I got a massive spell of pebble dash at around 1:00am. My poo's have been small and wet ever since.

The weird thing is, inspite of all of this, my farts are generally loud and dry, despite the often wet soft poo's . I can sometimes gurgling coming from lower areas as well.

I have been quite stressed about it. Sometimes I think its cancer, sometimes I don't .
I'm not in any pain (only some discomfort in my bum, but that could be down to the straining) . No one on my generation or my parents generation have had bowel cancer. The only people that have had cancer was my cousin who had neck cancer, and my uncle who had rectal cancer, but they were both heavy smokers and liked their drink.
I've not been having proper diarrhea at all, just soft wet poo's, I rarely drink, I don't smoke, and under the typical age for Bowel cancer. I eat a balanced diet to, and it seems coincidental this had started the day after eating that spicy food, and some of the side effects I get after eating spicy food have stayed with me.

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:03 am

Re: Can one meal change your Bowel habit for good ?

An adjustment of entrail propensities alludes to an adjustment of stool, meaning recurrence, consistency, variety, or the amount of control you possess over when you move your insides (incontinence).

2 posts