Starting to have a problem

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
laurence79

by laurence79 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:50 am

Starting to have a problem

I have suffered from urinary incontinence for over six years and have tried lots of medication and two ops without success. Until my last op, surgery on my postate I had no problems with my bowel functions. However since the op I have had some issues with constipation which has been addressed with medication, but I have also started to have some accidents. I wear pads 24/7 due to my bladder issues so the accidents were contained, but it does make me worry about the future. My bladder issues started with the odd accident, now I have virtually no control. I don't know if my bowels are going the same way. So far it hasn't happened many times, but it is happening more frequently. Has anyone had similar experiences?

NorthseaGal

by NorthseaGal on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:38 pm

Re: Starting to have a problem

Hi, I'm female, but I have had urinary incontinence since the late 1980s and have started to have bowel incontinence too. I'm 65, but I still want to be active and these too problems don't help very much.

Like you, I've had 2 bladder ops, the first made it so much worse and the last was a clam cystoplasty, which helped, but certainly didn't cure it. I saw Embarrassing Bodies and got all excited when a lady had botox injections in her bladder and found that the NHS was doing it, but I can't have that due to the ops.

I have been taking Mirabegron or Betmiga, not sure which is brand name, and they have helped, again no cure, but I stopped taking them when I forgot to order them in time and I found I had a temporary improvement, unfortunately it didn't last, but I still haven't gone back on them yet as I'm trying different alternative things to see if they may help. No luck yet though.

I've had the bowel incontinence for about a year. Nothing's been done about it although I've mentioned it at my GPs and also to the Continence Clinic. Luckily, like you, with the pads, it does help, but it is worrying and could be embarrassing as I only have minutes, at the most, to make it to the toilet. There's also more of a worry than with the urinary incontinence, as there is more of a smell.

2 posts