incontinence after rectal surgery re prolapsed bowel

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
ticomummy

by ticomummy on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:44 pm

incontinence after rectal surgery re prolapsed bowel

MY son is suffering from this still, three years after his surgery. he is afraid to go to the dr and refuses to go through the very painful experience he had ( his operation was .done rectally)
He is afraid to go away from toilet until he feels that his bowel is empty ,sometimes taking up to 4hours or more He also suffers from epilepsy which is not controlled and it is thought by his consultant that the two are very much linked in that his epilepsy medicine goes straight through him.
He is in disability benefit and esa ( in the work related activity group) . He has depression as he cannot do as requested by them and has to do telephone interviews but is suffering because he ought to be in the support group.
My husband and I deal with everything for him with the DWP because of his health problems.
Is there any answer to this?

saintbernard

by saintbernard on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:55 pm

Re: incontinence after rectal surgery re prolapsed bowel

Hi ticomummy.
Your son really ought to get a referral to see a continence adviser, his GP can arrange this or in some NHS areas you can request an appointment directly. His continence issues will be reviewed and assessed and appropriate recommendations made.
If he is assessed as having faecal (bowel) incontinence there are treatments and /or medications that could be recommended. Sorting or improving incontinence can help overall wellbeing.
Good luck

3 posts