Different Brands of Drugs

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Re: Different Brands of Drugs

Hi Glyn,

Thank you for your question, I hope my response will be helpful.

Each drug, whether it be generic or branded is made up of the active ingredient(s) - the ingredients which aim to aid your condition - and a range of excipients - the ingredients required to "build" the active ingredient into a suitable product for use by patients. These excipients can vary from tablet to tablet or mixture to mixture. The only item which should have a pharmaceutical effect is the active ingredient, however some patients experience sensitivities to excipients such as lactose which mean that they prefer not to take a tablet which contains an excipient they are sensitive to.

I would suggest you have a chat with your local pharmacist who may be able to identify if there are any specific excipients in your medicines which may be causing unwanted effects but I would urge you not to stop taking your medicines in the meantime.

Kindest regards,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

2 posts