Managing at work

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Robert117

by Robert117 on Thu May 28, 2015 8:59 am

Managing at work

I have been using stretch/mesh pants since 2010 as prescribed by a continence advisor but have had instances of leaking from the side which if I'm lucky runs down my leg into my sock, but also sometimes visibly wets my trousers. I am not sure why I am having this problem but I had a number of neurological issues appear around the same time, which were investigated but tests have been inconclusive. I have tried plastic pants, first at £15 a pair from a mobility shop but the quality was rubbish (Sandra) - they hardened and split after a few washes and then some others from ebay which deteriorated, possibly because they were line dried outside or damaged in the drier. However, regardless of the type, I found them also still to occasionally leak around the bottom of the leg seams. 'Occasionally' would sound acceptable in many contexts, but in my job (teaching), I cant even afford to have a single failure lead to an embarrassing episode, and I have had to cover up with a long coat on more than one occasion.The only security I have at work is going frequently to the loo; being careful what I drink; changing the pad before it starts to saturate; standing up rather than sitting; and being very careful where I position my 'bits'. Have tried botox, but it only reduced the leaks and lasted maybe 4 months and the urine smelt awfully, meaning even more risk of being detected (ISC caused frequent infections). Have not tried leg bag. For some reason continence advisor discounted it mainly on the grounds that I have had frequent UTIs. Somebody suggested wearing absorbent underwear over pad under plastic pants, but when I tried putting pads in ordinary underwear, rather than mesh pants, I felt that I leaked even more and there was an unpleasant dampness. Anybody found any better solutions?

danakerr

by danakerr on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Managing at work

Hi Robert,

Have you tried using condom catheter device or drip collector? I think they are pretty effective. You mentioned that you also watch what you drink, I think that would help too. It would be best if you will avoid diuretics. Lastly, avoid stress, this also triggers incontinence. I hope this helps.

laurence79

by laurence79 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Managing at work

I am also a teacher so know how you feel. I now wear very high absorbency pads which I hold in place with a pair of y fronts with a pair of boxer briefs on top - these keep things in place

4 posts