Symptoms

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
bubblicious

by bubblicious on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:52 am

Symptoms

Hi there

My partner has recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis, his doctor has made this diagnoses through blood tests, etc.

He has also been found to have a calcium/vitamin D deficiency. (Are these two of the same ?)

My partners symptoms, especially today has been spasms of pain through his lower torso through his hip, leg etc. Its colder today, so this may equate for some of the cause. My partner also complains of having pain which resonates within his bones as apposed to just the joints.

My mum sent me some information on diets to have which are good anti inflammatory and good sources of vitamin D/Calcium. I was taking a read of this article and found something which may provide some answers to why he is feeling pain in his bones something called Osteomalacia. Is this something he can be tested for ? As of today, I don't think he has suffered any fractures, but the part about pain in feet and bones seems to be quite matching to his symptoms.

Would love some answers about this and help on which direction to go down. He hasn't took his calcium/vitamin D supplements given by the doctor, which he took for two weeks then said they were not working! How long should he be taking these for to feel any benefit from. I am dealing with someone that needs to realise that he needs to start taking steps to ensure it doesn't deteriorate any more.

Thank you

Nadia

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:10 pm

Re: Symptoms

Hi Nadia,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear of your partner's arthritis diagnosis. If he's experiencing pain, he may want to see a physiotherapist to get good advice about daily exercises - because keeping moving is really helpful for arthritis. Physiotherapists can help you keep moving even if you have pain.

Healthy eating is also part of managing arthritis - but mostly it's to keep weight under good control as overweight can speed up the rate at which arthritis develops.

Here's a link to information about managing arthritis
https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis

The other questions about calcium and vitamin d are not the same things as arthritis - so you might want to look into those elsewhere. NHS Choices is a good source of trusted information.

I hope that's helpful

Guy
Arthritis Care Helpline
0808 800 4050 10 am to 4 pm weekdays

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Symptoms

Hello Nadia,

Osteoarthritis and osteomalacia are two completely separate conditions. Osteoarthritis is caused by "wear and tear" in the joints, most commonly the knees, hips, spine, thumb and small finger joints. This is more common with age and pain is usually felt in the joints although in the spine, muscles can cause pain and spasms too. Treatments include staying active and exercise, physiotherapy, painkillers, anti-inflammatory medicines including rub-on creams and gels, resting splints, joint injections and as a last resort surgery. Osteoarthritis has nothing to do with calcium and Vitamin D. Osteomalacia is caused by severe Vitamin D deficiency and can cause bone pain. It is treated by high dose Vitamin D, sometimes with calcium and sometimes without. It can take several months for Vitamin D levels to normalise but in general Vitamin D deficiency does not cause widespread pain, and widespread pain is not improved by taking Vitamin D.There is no "anti-inflammatory" diet that can cure arthritis, but eating healthily and keeping to a healthy weight are the most important things that can help arthritis in general.

Wendy

Wendy

Dr Wendy Holden
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologist
www.arthritisaction.org.uk /
info@arthritisaction.org /

3 posts