Neck and Shoulders

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Scouser58

by Scouser58 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Neck and Shoulders

I am now having physio on my neck and shoulders due to pain and discomfort,,,could this be my osteoarthritis is now spreading to my joints? I try to maintain a good level of activity and do as much domestic tasks as possible.
I walk with crutches,,which are not the best things for neck and shoulders,,,but I need them.

My Aunt had both types of arthritis and was crippled in all aspects of her life,,,I am doing all I can to keep myself active and my medication levels as low as possible.

What else can I do to keep myself at the level of the condition that I am , at this moment?
Thank you .

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Neck and Shoulders

I’m sorry to read that you’re living with pain in your neck and shoulders. You mention that you’re seeing a physio. This sounds like a positive move because getting the right kind of exercise is one of the most important ways of managing osteoarthritis (OA). Getting the right balance of exercise and rest, and not putting undue strain on the joints, can all help.
Your physio should also be able to give an opinion on whether your joint pain is all down to OA, or whether there could be another cause. Your physio could recommend that your doctor send you for further tests if they were needed.
It sounds as if you are already doing a lot of good work to manage your arthritis but you may find it useful to read the Arthritis care booklet, ‘Living with osteoarthritis’: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-i ... oarthritis. And if it would help to talk things over, you are very welcome to call the Arthritis Care Helplines on 0808 800 4050.
Best wishes,
Rachael, Helplines Worker

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Neck and Shoulders

Hi,

I can sympathise with you, as I've suffered from arthritis in my neck for over 14 years.

I agree with Rachael - you've made an excellent move by seeking advice from a physiotherapist, as doing the right exercises each day can help to ease the pain and stiffness of arthritis.

It's also vital that you watch your posture - as bad posture puts a lot of strain on the neck, shoulders and back. As a general guide you should aim to keep your ears, shoulders and hips in a straight line when standing or sitting. A lot of us - myself included - tend to sit with our shoulders hunched and our head dropped forward, which puts a huge strain on the neck muscles. In my case it caused herniated discs in my neck, which caused pain that radiated down into my shoulders and arms. I only discovered I had herniated discs when I asked my GP for an MRI scan - after years of suffering.

If the exercises don't bring relief I think it's worth asking for an MRI scan - just to find out what is causing your pain. Knowledge is power - once you know the reason for your pain you can take the right steps to control it, rather than it controlling you.

Good luck.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

3 posts