Fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis

Do you have any advice for our guest visitor Louise?
Hello, I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis I was diagnosed in 2003 since then I had my hAjf thyroid removed and two heart ablations for atrial fibrillation. I had a gastroscopy in 1999 and they told me I had gastritis. In the last few months my pain has got worse. I try and do lots walking and Pilates once a week but my sacro joint has now started playing up and goes into spasm I'm suffering from severe fatigue but I have to go to work! I'm 61 live alone and feel very ill!
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:27 pm

Re: Fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your various health problems.

You are obviously trying to help yourself by exercising regularly, as gentle exercise has been proven to help ease the pain of both osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia.

With regard to your sacroiliac joint pain - doing Pilates sounds like a good idea, as it's supposed to help by correcting your posture and stretching and strengthening the core and pelvic muscles. However, as you're now suffering from spasms I would advise seeking further medical advice. Your GP should be able to advise you on the best types of exercise for your particular conditions. You may also benefit from a referral to a physiotherapist, who will be able to assess your symptoms and devise a programme of exercises that will help you most.

The best way to deal with the fatigue of fibromyalgia is to pace yourself, which basically means alternating periods of activity with periods of rest so that you don't push yourself beyond your limits. Try to listen to your body and recognise the signs that you are reaching your limits and need to rest. Another good tip is to alternate between physical and mental tasks, so that you don't overtax your muscles, or drain your physical or mental energy.

It may also be worth asking your GP if you can have your vitamin D levels checked, as deficiencies are fairly common in the UK and can cause a range of fibromyalgia-type symptoms - including muscle pain, fatigue, low mood and sleep and digestive problems.

I hope this helps you.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:46 am

Hi Louise,

I'm sorry to hear there's a lot going on with your fibromyalgia and your health generally. Because so much of arthritis responds to self-management you might find looking into these techniques helpful.
You can see more about the daily management here: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis
and if you are interested you can hear how other people with arthritis are looking into this side of their lives:
http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8

If you feel like talking about arthritis you are most welcome to ring our freephone helpline

0808 800 4050 10 am - 4 pm weekdays

Kind regards

Guy

Arthritis Care Helpline

Nicola Footman

by Nicola Footman on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Hello Louise

Sounds like you are having a tough time at the moment :-(

It might be worth seeking advice from a physiotherapist. Aside from helping you manage the fibromyalgia which has already been discussed (eg pacing your activities, pain management, gentle strengthening) it would be good to get your sacroiliac joint and back correctly assessed. Pilates can be fantastic at helping to strenghten the core muscles. However, sometimes some release work/massage techniques/offload taping are needed for the tight muscles before the strengthening can help.

Really hope things improve for you

Nicola
Nicola Footman
Senior Physiotherapist - BSc (Hons) MCSP SRP
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ootman.php

4 posts