MEDICATIO

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
christinec

by christinec on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:59 pm

MEDICATIO

I was diagnosed with arthritis in 2008. It started in a little finger and is now in most of my fingers, both knees, spine and is starting in my neck.
I take a daily cocktail of codeine, co-codamol, amitryptyline, naproxen, omeprazole. I have also been prescribed gabapentin, but find it makes me feel 'spaced out' so don'y take it. I also have caspaicin ointment and have injections into the spine.

My worry is how the rest of my body is affected by prolonged use of this medication.

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:13 pm

Re: MEDICATIO

Hello Christine,

The worry is that you are taking so much medication, including 2 forms of codeine (in both codeine, obviously and cocodamol) which means that it is probably not working very well. If your pain medicines are working and helping improve your quality of life then it is fine to continue them but if they are not, then they should be reduced or stopped because all medicines have potential long-term effects. You may need to do this with some help from your GP though. If your pain is not controlled well, you may benefit from some advice on self-help for pain management, perhaps through a pain clinic as there is a lot you can do to help yourself.

Wendy

Dr Wendy Holden
Consultant Rheumatologist and Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action

www.arthritisaction.org.uk /
info@arthritisaction.org

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:02 am

Re: MEDICATIO

Hi Christine,

When you are wanting to improve your self - management it's often really helpful to get some advice about your overall health. If you are moving enough your muscles can compensate for some stiffness and soreness. Is your diet helping things or is it fighting you?

A physiotherapist and your GP can examine your muscles, check your weight against your height, and listen to your concerns.

If you'd like a chat about things you would be very welcome to ring our free phone helpline.

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis

Kind regards

Guy
Arthritis Care Helpline
tel 0808 800 4050 10am - 4pm weekdays

3 posts