Hip arthritis

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Moseleygirl

by Moseleygirl on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:52 am

Hip arthritis

I have severe arthritis in my hip & will have a replacement when I've lost enough weight, hopefully within 6 months. My primary source of pain relief is Matrifen patches at 52mcg. I also take paracetamol 4 x daily & naproxen x 2 daily & use an electric heat pad. I have severe pain the moment I put any pressure on my leg. My joint moves & 'slips' frequently & the thigh muscle at the front is in painful spasm most of the time. Most days are 'bad' days now when I can hardly move from my heat pad.

I've had physio & am currently having hydrotherapy but that will end soon (I can only have 6 sessions). I could register to use the hydro pool independently but it'll take a few months on the waiting list & is expensive. I can only have 12 sessions & then back on the list. I've been to the pain clinic & used to manage some exercise but it's too painful now. I use a tens machine occasionally, which helps but only after hours of wearing it.

My quality of life is poor. My question is is there any other pain medication I can take to enable me to function better until I have a replacement? In particular, can I take a higher dose of matrifen? What about morphine patches?

Nicola Footman

by Nicola Footman on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Hip arthritis

Hi

I'm so sorry to read you are having such a tough time. It sounds as if you have already tried physiotherapy and hydrotherapy, both of which can help strengthen the muscles surrounding the hip.

Have you been offered acupuncture? This could provide you with some pain relief, even as a temporary measure. There also may be a couple of taping techniques which may help relieve some of the spasm/tension in the muscles.

It might be worth discussing these options with your physiotherapist.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Nicola
Nicola Footman
Senior Physiotherapist - BSc (Hons) MCSP SRP
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ootman.php

2 posts