Knee and hip arthritis

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
hazeld15

by hazeld15 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Knee and hip arthritis

Hi. I have had both knee and hip arthritis for about 7 years now. I had xrays a few years ago which showed the arthritis in my one hip was moderate to severe. It has got a lot worse since then as has my other hip and both knees. I take amitriptyline 3 hours before I go to bed to help me get to sleep, Tramadol 4 times a day and cocodamol when really painful. I can't walk at all without discomfort. I have had physio but now the pain is so bad I can't do that any more. Any ideas please?

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:34 am

Re: Knee and hip arthritis

Hi there,

I am really sorry to hear that you are struggling with pain in your hips and knees.

I wonder if you have been referred to an orthopaedic doctor? If not, it might be worth asking your GP if he thinks it is appropriate. They may wish to do further x-ray's or scans to see how things are looking and discuss what the various treatment options might be from here. It might also be worth while reviewing your pain medications with the GP if you feel they aren't providing you with enough relief.

In the meantime, here is a link to our 'Managing Pain' booklet which you may find useful:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/assets ... 1472203621

If you'd like to talk things through further, please do give us a call on our freephone number (below).

I hope this helps,

Emma-Jane
Arthritis Care Helpline
Tel 0808 800 4050 10am - 4pm weekdays

2 posts