Can one prevent attacks of pseudogout?

Post your Gout and Pseudogout related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Frances489

by Frances489 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:32 pm

Can one prevent attacks of pseudogout?

I'm waiting for the results of blood tests and x-rays, after two recent episodes of severe swelling and pain in my knees. I have had osteoarthritis in both knees, as well as other joints, for many years. My GP has mentioned it might be pseudogout, but, if it is, is there really nothing I can do to prevent further attacks? I understand that watching one's diet doesn't make any difference.

Malcolm Persey

by Malcolm Persey on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Can one prevent attacks of pseudogout?

I'm afraid not. Attacks of pseudogout are often precipitated by an attack of ill-health such as a chest infection, but not necessarily. The diagnosis cannot be certain however until X-rays have been seen and possibly fluid aspirated from the swollen joint when swollen, but this can be difficult to get organised. Your GP will be able to advise when he/she has the results.
Malcolm Persey
Consultant Rheumatologist - MD FRCP
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... persey.php

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:56 pm

Hi,

Pseudogout is caused by calcium pyrophosphate crystals being deposited in the joints and when it is chronic it causes similar symptoms to those of OA - long term joint damage, pain and stiffness. The main treatments for the flare-ups of pseudogout are rest, ice packs and anti-inflammatory medicines.

While there's no particular diet that will help prevent further attacks, keeping to a healthy weight and taking regular, gentle exercise can help to limit the damage to the joints.

The long term prognosis will depend on the underlying cause. As Dr. Persey states it's often linked to a bout of ill-health. It's also linked with various other conditions including other types of arthritis, an under or over active thyroid, too much iron in the blood, or low magnesium levels.

I hope this helps.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Frances489

by Frances489 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Thank you both very much for your replies. The blood tests were clear for gout and the x-rays didn't show any evidence of pseudogout, therefore the GP has said the attacks were more likely to be osteoarthritis flare-ups.

However, the last episode of pain and swelling was three days after I had a trapeziectomy. So, not a bout of ill-health as such, but certainly a stressful event. Based on that, I'm not 100% sure that it wasn't pseudogout and, if another attack occurs, I will go back to my GP while the joint is still swollen.

Thank you again for your help.

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi,

That sounds like a good plan - I hope you get the correct diagnosis soon.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

5 posts