lipodema effect lymphodema

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
lilacmo28

by lilacmo28 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:50 pm

lipodema effect lymphodema

Has anyone got this condition deal with pain like me and his going through the meaupause

Stephen Kelly

by Stephen Kelly on Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:32 pm

Re: lipodema effect lymphodema

Hello
Lymphoedema and lipoedema have similar symptoms. In fact lymphoedema can develop as a result of lipoedema. Wearing compression stockings and taking some gentle exercise may be of some help. Additionally massage may also be of some benefit. I suggest that you make an appointment with your GP to discuss the various options.
Kind regards
Stephen
Stephen Kelly
Registered Chiropractor (BSc Hons, MSc, DC)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _kelly.php

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: lipodema effect lymphodema

Hi,

Just to add to Stephen's post, lipoedema is a chronic complaint where there is an abnormal build-up of fat cells in the legs, thighs and buttocks. Lipoedema can often block the vessels of your lymphatic system preventing them from draining the excess fluid from the tissues and thus causing lymphoedema.

Lipoedema often starts at times of hormonal fluctuation such as during the menopause - which may explain why you're suffering from this complaint at this stage of your life.

As Stephen says, there are non-surgical self-help techniques you can use to help improve both lipoedema and lymphoedema - including exercise - low impact forms such as swimming are especially beneficial. You can also learn self-massage techniques that will help encourage the movement of fluids throughout your lymphatic system and help to relieve pain.

I agree with Stephen in that you should seek help from your GP, who will be able to refer you for appropriate treatments - possibly at a lymphoedema clinic. You may also be offered liposuction to remove the excess fat cells.

I wish you well for the future.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

3 posts