back pain

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Gerosb74

by Gerosb74 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:26 am

back pain

Hi last week i put my back out for the first time while doing the laundry,i am a nurse amd had really busy day the day before so not sure if this has contributed!My gp has given me diazepam kapake and naproxen which helped,tho kapake made me feel so sick.Yesterday i felt much better and even drove to pick my boys up from school. This morning i have woke in agony again and can barely move. Any suggestions as to what else i can do to help myself??

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:24 pm

Re: back pain

Hi,

Experts advise staying mobile, so try to move around gently as soon as you can. An over-the-counter anti-inflammatory painkiller like ibuprofen often helps with acute back pain - if you're able to take it, otherwise paracetamol can be effective.

Applying heat (a heated wheat pillow/hot water bottle) or ice (a bag of frozen veg or an ice pack wrapped in a tea towel) to the affected area can also help.

Back pain usually resolves within a few days - if it doesn't, go and see your GP again. It may be worth asking to be referred to a physiotherapist.

To prevent future back pain aim to stay a healthy weight, as excess weight is a major cause of back pain. Try to do regular exercise too - yoga and swimming are especially good for strengthening the back. Bad posture can also cause back pain so watch yours - try to keep your ears, shoulders and hips in a straight line as much as possible and bend your knees when lifting.

I hope this helps and your back pain soon eases.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Nicola Footman

by Nicola Footman on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Hello

Sorry to hear you are struggling with your back. I agree with all that Wendy Green suggested :) so won't repeat a lot of what's already been suggested eg heat/staying mobile.

An acute episode of back pain can last for a few weeks so do not worry that your symptoms are not settling as quickly as you would like. The fact that you felt better and was able to drive is really positive. Unfortunately it's a common trap we all fall into - we feel better so do more and then the pain returns with a vengence! Try and pace yourself as much as you can. If things start to ease with all the strategies Wendy suggested and your painkillers that's great - but still keep taking it easy for a while. Continue to move/walk/keep active but try and avoid any prolonged postures/long distance driving/heavy lifting for a while as much as is possible to allow your symptoms to fully settle.

If you are struggling with the pain, seeing a physiotherapist/osteopath/chiropractor may help. A physiotherapist can help to release tight muscles/joints, use taping techniques to offload tight muscles and give you a programme of stretches/strengthening exercises which can alleviate symptoms and help to reduce the likelihood of any reoccurance of your pain. Acupuncture is also a treatment option offered by many physios which can help.

Just a note though - If you have any bladder/bowel symptoms that started around the time of the onset of back pain or numbness around the genital area/weakness in the legs/ numbness/pins and needles in both legs, do consult a doctor urgently, as this can suggest a more serious underlying pathology.

Good luck!

Nicola
Nicola Footman
Senior Physiotherapist - BSc (Hons) MCSP SRP
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ootman.php

Stephen Kelly

by Stephen Kelly on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:37 am

Hi. As has already been suggested, a first time incident of acute onset low back pain should resolve quite nicely without the need for further intervention. Keeping mobile is very important, but do try to avoid activities which exacerbate the pain. Commonly this will include things like bending forwards and prolonged standing.
If things have not significantly improved within a couple of weeks it will be worth seeking the advice of someone who specializes in low back problems. Ask your GP, or friends, or family if they can recommend someone who works locally. A personal recommendation is often a good starting point.
I hope you feel better soon.
Kind regards
Stephen
Stephen Kelly
Registered Chiropractor (BSc Hons, MSc, DC)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _kelly.php

4 posts