Exercise helps then hurts

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
smeeth

by smeeth on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Exercise helps then hurts

I have really "dodgy" knees and often find that yoga and Pilates help in the first instance as they just relax and stretch everything out... but then the next day I find myself in so much more pain than the day before.

I chose yoga and Pilates for their low-impact qualities and I always stretch properly.

Are there any other exercises or particular stretches that will give me the benefits without then causing me more pain?

Thank you.

Nicola Footman

by Nicola Footman on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Re: Exercise helps then hurts

Hello!

Yoga and pilates can be fantastic for many musculoskeletal problems. However, can I ask what is wrong with your knees? Is it arthritis? Or a problem with the knee cap (patellofemoral dysfunction)? Certain conditions result in the knee 'disliking' being held in prolonged positions which is one reason why pilates/yoga type exercise can aggravate. For example, arthritic knees 'like' movement and do not respond well to static positions. Holding certain postures for any length of time can stretch the joint further than it can reasonably cope with which can lead to inflammation. Strengthening the knees rather than focusing on stretches may be more valuable.

Do other sports aggravate your knees too? It might be worth seeing a physiotherapist/osteopath/chiropractor to help identify what is actually wrong with the knees. This could help direct you to exercise which will benefit the knees rather than aggravate them.

Hope this advice helps - please don't hesitate to ask any further questions if you would like anything clarified.

Nicola
Nicola Footman
Senior Physiotherapist - BSc (Hons) MCSP SRP
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ootman.php

Mr Adrian Wilson

by Mr Adrian Wilson on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:04 pm

There are lots of good exercises that you can do but the key is to find a good physiotherapist who is also a strength and conditioning coach and do some targeted exercises and get a programme. You only need a few initial sessions and then a follow up every 6 weeks or so..its worth the investment of time.

The bottom line is non impact so:
core work
cross trainer
rowing
cycling
swimming
and strength work..
Mr Adrian Wilson
Consultant Knee Surgeon - BSc (Hons) MBBS FRCS (Eng) FRCS (Tr & Orth)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... wilson.php

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi Smeeth,

If you want some professional support on the question of your exercises it's really worth having some sessions with the NHS physiotherapists - and they will need your feedback about what does not seem to suit you.

In the meantime I hope this booklet will offer some ideas https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-i ... -arthritis

Kind regards

Guy

Arthritis Care Helplines

Tel 0808 800 4050 10am - 4pm weekdays

4 posts