How do I get someone to listen?

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:19 pm

How do I get someone to listen?

On behalf of our guest visitor, Sandra:
I currently take 40mg of slow release morphine daily 2x 500mg paracetamol x4 daily and oromorph as required ( all this for 12 months due to double knee surgery previously I lived on Tramadol and cocodamol).
My left knee is still very painful and I am doing the exercises but am still in pain even with the medication.my consultant has finally listened to me and thinks my ligament is overstretched so I am back in a knee brace and still exercising and am still In pain.

What is a reasonable amount of time to still be in pain for my op was 30/10/2015? My knees used to dislocate so he fixed them but turned my knees slightly in, since day one I have said my left knee feels tight, twisted etc but I cannot get anyone to listen. What do you advice regarding the pain and obviously getting someone to listen to me?
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: How do I get someone to listen?

Hi Sandra,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having some ongoing issues following your surgery. On one hand I can hear that the situation may be frustrating for you, and on the other it does sound as though the surgeon is trying to help.

I wonder whether you might find more self - management options could be supportive, such as a good physiotherapist to support you and keep coming up with ideas. Another option would be to be using a peer online community where you can share strategies with other people who may understand what good days and bad days can feel like?

Here's a link to the Arthritis Care online community (it's one of many I realise) and you are most welcome to ring our free phone helpline if you fancy a chat about things.

http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8

Kind regards

Guy
Arthritis Care Helpline
0808 800 4050 10am - 4pm weekdays

2 posts