Help with managing pain please!

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Help with managing pain please!

On behalf of our guest visitor, Satveer:
I have been suffering from severe, excruciating pain for over 11 years and counting. I'm on a cocktail of medicine. When I visit my local pain management centre, they ask me what I would like them to do for me. I find it extremely frustrating that they are asking me this question, if I knew the answer, I wouldn't be there in the first place. I am really struggling to manage my pain, with the medication I have available to me at present. I suffer from a very long list of health problems, including fibromyalgia, arthritis, osteoarthritis, polymyalgia, chronic abdominal pain, adhesions and various other symptoms. I have recently been diagnosed with a Venus ulcer and the only way to treat it is with compression. Unfortunately, I can't imagine how much pain this would cause me. My ulcer is on a nerve and I have severe fibromyalgia. I feel like no matter what I do, I'm always in a catch 22 when it comes to my treatment options. I lack mobility and I am bed bound most of the time. My life has been controlled by my pain. I'm like a prisoner to my pain. Is there anything that you could suggest that I can try, to help manage my pain a little better? I'll look forward to your response.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Sandeep Bawa

by Dr Sandeep Bawa on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Help with managing pain please!

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no magic pill here. I fully appreciate your pain issues.

The best form of treatment is a holistic approach using a multitude of therapies such as (if not contraindicated) pain management classes, acupuncture, TENS machines, analgesia etc etc.

I do hope you can consult again with your GP/Pain clinic to find a suitable way forward.

Hope this helps

Dr Bawa
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Consultant Rheumatologist - MBChB, MRCP, MSc (Sports Exercise Medicine)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... p_bawa.php

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:32 pm

Re: Help with managing pain please!

Hi Satveer,

Having suffered from chronic pain due to OA & bulging discs in my neck for 14 years - I can truly sympathise with your situation.

The turning point for me was when I finally saw a GP who was willing to send me for an MRI scan to discover the cause of my chronic pain. Once I knew the causes of the pain I asked to see a physiotherapist for advice on the best exercises for my condition. Since then I've done specific neck exercises daily and corrected my posture. Several months on my pain is much more manageable - though I do experience flare-ups (usually due to poor posture or lifting something heavy) and daily stiffness. For me, learning the cause of my pain and the steps I needed to take to manage it, put ME in control of the pain - rather than it controlling me.

I realise that your situation is far worse than mine, as you're dealing with multiple conditions that are all causing you pain, but I believe that if you can start to take back control, you WILL feel much better.

I agree with Dr. Bawa - the best form of treatment would be a holistic approach - I think a good place to start would be with a physiotherapist, as gentle exercises could well help to ease your pain, improve your mobility and put YOU back in control of your pain.

I'd also recommend reading my other posts which outline the dietary changes and supplements that could help to reduce the inflammation in your body and reduce your pain.

I do hope will seek further help and get some relief from the terrible pain you're suffering.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

3 posts