Page 1 of 1

chronic pain

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:39 am
by franky22
my self and daughter have hypermobilty ,i passed it on through birth to my daughter she is on 9 on the beton scale,we have hardly got any support from anyone she is now 20 but she has pain and small patch of swelling at the base of her toes the doctor just says its her condition and cant do anything she cant take antiinflammatories like me ,any suggestions[she has been is pain all her life with all her joints ]

Re: chronic pain

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:48 am
by Arthritis Care
Hi Franky,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear about the foot pain. Does the GP think osteoarthritis has developed in the foot? If so, shock absorbing foot ware can be helpful to compensate for the loss of cartilage.
If medication is tricky for you it can be worth exploring as much self-management as possible. A physio who's experienced with hypermobility can support you keeping moving (do ring for a chat if you want to think of how to find one). And healthy eating can keep you at a healthy weight for your height (as over weight can fuel arthritis inflammation and pain - especially in weight bearing joints such as in feet.) ... -arthritis ... -arthritis

Kind regards

Arthritis Care Helpline
0808 800 4050 10am - 4pm weekdays

Re: chronic pain

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:03 pm
by Nicola Footman
Hi Franky

Physiotherapy can really help with hypermobility. The correct exercises/advice can really make a difference to symptoms.

With regards to her foot it might be worth seeking an assessment either from an experienced physio or podiatrist as there may be an insole that can be made which can offload the painful joint.

Hope that helps