Polymyalgia

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
jabax1824

by jabax1824 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Polymyalgia

I was getting lots of pain and got to the stage where I couldn't pull my seat belt round to fasten it - my "old school" GP asked questions, then decided I had Polymyalgia and put me on steroids - within a week I felt better and was able to manage my pain. 2 years down the line a new young doctor said I was too young for Polymyalgia (I was around 55 at this time) and eased me off the steroids. I now still have all the pain etc, Osteoarthritis in my foot, muscle pain in my hands, back, legs, arms etc. GP just dismisses my pain now, but I am worried that as I get older I will get worse.

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Re: Polymyalgia

Hi jabax1824

I’m so sorry to hear that your still experiencing pain and that you now feel your pain is being dismissed by the GP. I can hear and understand your concerns regarding whether or not things will get worse, for a listening and supportive ear you may like to give us a call on our Helpline where we can talk informally and in confidence.

I’m wondering if you could see a different GP to talk things through and check whether or not you still have Polymyalgia, in which case medications/steroids might be reviewed. You might like to take a look at our Polymyalgia factsheet which may be helpful for you:https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-i ... olymyalgia

These are the contact details for (Polymyalgia Rheumatica Giant Cell Arteritis) PMRGCA UK www.pmrgcauk.com Helpline: 0300 111 5090

If you find that you do not have PMR, you could ask your GP for a referral to a pain clinic, which may be helpful in addressing your arthritis pain.

Lastly, a link to our information on Self-management, which is largely how Osteoarthritis is managed, aside from the GP’s input which would be to help with medication: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-i ... +&location here you will find topics such as ‘Managing pain’ ‘Healthy eating’ and ‘Exercise’ to name but a few.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes
Lynda
Arthritis Care Helpline
0808 800 4050 10 am to 4 pm weekdays

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: Polymyalgia

Hello,

Polymyalgia can sometimes be the first symptom of another condition such as rheumatoid arthritis which can also cause pain in the joints of the feet. Rheumatoid arthritis often also responds well to steroids. It is important that you ask your GP to refer you to a rheumatologist who will be able to make the proper diagnosis. Rheumatoid arthritis should be treated as soon as possible to prevent permanent joint damage and potential disability.

Wendy

Dr Wendy Holden
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologist

www.arthritisaction.org.uk /
info@arthritisaction.org /

3 posts