arthritis

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
skyblue06

by skyblue06 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:47 am

arthritis

I get very bad pain in my knees with arthritis it worse in cold or damp weather I also get swelling on the side of my big toe which is very sore and I cant walk because of the pain

:

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: arthritis

Hi,

I'm wondering if you've had a definite diagnosis as to the cause of your knee and toe pain, as that will determine the best way to manage it? It could be due to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or even gout.

Given that the pain in your toe is so severe it's preventing you from walking and therefore severely affecting your quality of life, I would advise seeking medical advice as soon as possible.

I hope you get relief from the pain soon.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Hello,

Pain in your big toe is most likely due to either osteoarthritis or gout as rheumatoid arthritis does not usually affect this joint. It could also be due to pressure from tight shoes rubbing on the side of the toe due to a bunion (swelling). If the toe becomes hot, red and swollen it is most likely due to gout. There are more questions that your doctor would need to ask you to make a proper diagnosis, but it sounds as though you should speak to your GP as there are lots of things that can help.

Wendy

Wendy

Dr Wendy Holden
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologist
www.arthritisaction.org.uk /
info@arthritisaction.org /

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi Skyblue,

If your GP does think your knees are worn (osteoarthritis) then the guidance is to keep moving and eat sensibly to keep your weight under good control. If your feet are affected comfortable, shock absorbing shoes are really helpful.

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-i ... oarthritis

All the best

Guy
Arthritis Care Helpline
Tel 0808 800 4050 10am - 4pm weekdays

Mr Adrian Wilson

by Mr Adrian Wilson on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:10 pm

We need some X-rays and an MRI of your knee and some X-rays of your toe..a really important condtiion to rule out is gout which is very common and often occurs in healthy young people..
Best
Mr Adrian Wilson
Consultant Knee Surgeon - BSc (Hons) MBBS FRCS (Eng) FRCS (Tr & Orth)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... wilson.php

Lee Murphy

by Lee Murphy on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:36 pm

skyblue06 wrote:I get very bad pain in my knees with arthritis it worse in cold or damp weather I also get swelling on the side of my big toe which is very sore and I cant walk because of the pain

:
Hello,
Is the swelling on your big toe itself or on the side where it joints the rest of your foot? It might help more if you post up a picture on here? As above, it could be gout, bunions (hallux valgus) or a multitude of other things. I would recommend seeing your GP and ask for a referral to your local podiatric surgery department. It might not need surgery, but you will be able to access all the necessary tests to give you an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. Your big toe joint is a fairly complicated joint with 4 bones (2 are like small knee caps that sit on the sole of the foot and you walk directly on them), 7 ligaments, a joint capsule and several tendons passing and controlling it. You put approximately 1.2 times your bodyweight through it with every step and most people walk 3-4000 steps on each foot every day. So it's complicated and it takes a lot of stress! It is the most common joint that I treat. My advice is to get it looked at by someone who treats big toe problems every day.
Lee Murphy
Consultant Podiatric Surgeon - MRes FCPodS
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... murphy.php

6 posts