Ankylosing Spondylitis and Nutraceuticals

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
mariathess

by mariathess on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:38 pm

Ankylosing Spondylitis and Nutraceuticals

Hello,

Can I please ask if herbs/extracts can help manage the pain/reduce joint inflammation in Ankylosing Spondylitis?
There has been research on Chinese and Persian herbs, and scientific studies pointing towards ginger, therefore are there herbs being adviced by clinicians in the fight against Ankylosing Spondylitis joint pain?

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Ankylosing Spondylitis and Nutraceuticals

I am sorry to learn that your Ankylosing Spondylitis is causing pain from inflammation around the joints.
At the moment, there is no strong scientific evidence base for herbal medicines in pain management. In terms of anecdotal evidence, some people report finding them helpful. You may find it useful to read the Arthritis care booklet ‘Managing pain’: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-i ... aging-pain (see page 26 for the information on herbal medicines).

In case you haven’t been given similar information before, you might also find it useful to read the Arthritis Care factsheet on Ankylosing Spondylitis: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-i ... pondylitis. This includes information on medicines and exercises that can help with pain relief.

If it would help to talk over any issues related to your condition, you are very welcome to call the Arthritis Care Helplines on 0808 800 4050.

Best wishes,
Rachael, Helplines Worker

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:36 am

Re: Ankylosing Spondylitis and Nutraceuticals

Hello,

There is no good evidence that herbs or extracts can help with the pain and inflammation in ankylosing spondylitis. Some herbal remedies, especially Chinese medicines have actually been shown to contain other prescription medicines including corticosteroids (steroids) and many poisons are derived from plant extracts. It is important not to assume that because something is based on plants or herbs that it is safe or even actually natural. You should tell your doctor if you are taking herbal remedies or medicines that you have bought over-the-counter as many can interact with prescription medicines and may be harmful.

Wendy

Dr Wendy Holden
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologist
www.arthritisaction.org.uk /
info@arthritisaction.org

3 posts