Rheumatoid arthritis and blood test results

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
tulip

by tulip on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:43 pm

Rheumatoid arthritis and blood test results

Is it possible to have rheumatoid arthritis/inflammatory arthritis ,but the initial blood tests come back only slightly raised? I have all the signs of RA but GP said it can't be,as the CRP level was not high enough.I felt very dismissed as have no pain relief which I can tolerate and my symptoms have been put down to my pre existing Fibromyalgia/ME.Should I ask for a second opinion?

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Re: Rheumatoid arthritis and blood test results

Hello,

Yes, it most definitely is possible to have rheumatoid arthritis with completely normal blood tests, especially if it is the small joints that are affected. If you have swelling of any joints, especially the small joints of the hands or feet, and stiffness in the joints that is worse in the morning and lasts for more than 30 minutes then you may have early inflammatory arthritis and you must ask for a second opinion. You should ask to be referred to an early arthritis clinic which most rheumatology departments now have, and they may well want to conduct further tests such as ultrasound to look inside your joints.

Good luck.

Wendy

Dr Wendy Holden
Consultant Rheumatologist and Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action
www.arthritisaction.org.uk /
info@arthritisaction.org

2 posts