Spondylosis, nerve damage? Hellish pain for years

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
babyabull

by babyabull on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Spondylosis, nerve damage? Hellish pain for years

Hi there, Hope you can help. I have had pains in my shoulders since my teens,and about 10 years ago was diagnosed with spondylitis/neck arthritis from neck X-rays/ neck's MRI scan. My pains have been gradually getting worse over the years, usually starting in my neck, from there the pain travels to my jaws, head, sides of my back, shoulders and at its worst I also have extremely sore ears and throat, so can hardly talk. Often the pain is a lot worse on the left side. Often the pain is so bad for months at the time, that I hardly sleep at all. Then for no obvious reason it can get better. And worse again.

I am flexible and have no movement restrictions. I try to do some yoga and other light exercise, but it often leaves me in pain for a few days.
Even strong painkillers don't help when the pain is at its worst. I have now been given Gabapentin tablets to try by my GP, which seem to help a bit. Does that mean my pains have something to do with neurologic pains? What sort of tests would I need? What can it mean? Sorry for so many questions, thank you in advance!

Oh,and even a slight pain on my body hurts. Wearing my glasses hurts my nose, so can hardly wear them. Can't hold my handbag on my lap, as it hurts. Bra straps hurt etc.

Really hope somebody can help. Thank you so much. Have a nice day

Dr Sandeep Bawa

by Dr Sandeep Bawa on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Re: Spondylosis, nerve damage? Hellish pain for years

Hi,

Your GP should be able to explain most of your questions. Gabapentin takes time to work but works on a different pain pathway to anti inflammatories or opiate medication.

It is a very common drug used in pain control.

I hope it will give you some benefit

Hope this helps

Dr Bawa
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Consultant Rheumatologist - MBChB, MRCP, MSc (Sports Exercise Medicine)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... p_bawa.php

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: Spondylosis, nerve damage? Hellish pain for years

Hi,

Judging by your symptoms and the fact your GP has prescribed Gabapentin it sounds likely you are suffering from nerve pain due to having spondylitis.

I too suffer from spondylitis, otherwise known as neck arthritis, and also have bulging discs which have caused nerve pain right down to my wrists, plus tingling fingers. However, since requesting physiotherapy I've learned the best exercises to help my condition and now practice them religiously several times a day. Since beginning these exercises my condition has improved dramatically - though I still suffer from stiffness and some pain, it's nowhere near as severe as before - so I strongly recommend that you ask for a referral for physiotherapy.

Another common cause of bulging discs and nerve pain is poor posture, so make sure you check and correct yours regularly. A good tip is to make sure your ears, shoulder and hips are all in a straight line as much as possible; a major postural cause of neck problems and neck disc bulges is sitting with your head dropped forward, as this puts huge additional pressure on the neck muscles and discs. Oh, and lifting heavy objects is also best avoided, as that also puts extra pressure on the discs and can exacerbate the condition. In my opinion, and from my own experience, it's always better to try and tackle the causes of your pain than to simply take pain killers, which don't always work in the longer term.

Also, if doing yoga and other light exercise makes the pain worse try doing less or doing some other form of gentle exercise - it may be that some of the yoga postures are contraindicated for your specific neck problems.

I've written several other posts on neck arthritis in this clinic, so please read them for further information.

With regard to feeling pain when wearing your glasses and doing other everyday things - that suggests you are hypersensitive to pain and that you could also be suffering from fibromyalgia. I would advise seeing your GP about this, who should be able to carry out tests to see if you have it. One test they may carry out is a 'tender point test' which involves applying light pressure to 18 specific sites on the neck, shoulders, elbows, chest, lower back and knees. Pain and tenderness in at least 11 of these sites will indicate you have fibromyalgia.

I hope you find ways to better manage your condition.
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

3 posts