clicking knee

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
clarecaudwell

by clarecaudwell on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:51 pm

clicking knee

Hi,I get a clicking sound from my right knee if im walking up a hill or upstairs,ive been to see my doctor who said this is something that happens as we get older but as im only 33 i was wondering if it could be anything else?It doesnt cause me pain but doesnt sound very good!thanks.

Dr Sandeep Bawa

by Dr Sandeep Bawa on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: clicking knee

Hi,

it is likely it is mechanical if there is no pain or swelling.

There is probably nothing to worry about as your GP has stated.

Work on strengthening your quadriceps muscles and if needed have a review with a physiotherapists to check your biomechanics.

Hope this helps

DR Bawa
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Consultant Rheumatologist - MBChB, MRCP, MSc (Sports Exercise Medicine)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... p_bawa.php

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: clicking knee

Hi,

I have to agree with your GP and Dr Bawa - if there's no pain there's probably nothing to worry about.

Also - as Dr Bawa states - it'd be a good idea to work on strengthening your leg muscles and possibly seeking advice from a physiotherapist.

Squats and lunges, climbing up stairs and hills, and cycling are all excellent ways of strengthening the leg muscles.

Also watch your weight, as every excess pound exerts 4 pounds extra pressure on the knees.

Hope this helps.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

3 posts