Older treatments better?

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:52 am

Older treatments better?

On behalf of our guest visitor, Rosemary:
For some years now my husband and best friend have been using Ellimans Liniment to rub into their arthritic joints and this has helped more than any of the (expensive) products prescribed by their doctors. We now find that this very old British product has been discontinued. What can you tell me about this please, or can you recommend something similar that is available on the market?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:43 am

Re: Older treatments better?

Hi,

I'm afraid you're right - Elliman's liniment doesn't appear to be available any more.

All I can suggest is that your husband and his friend try some different products such as Tiger Balm (white or red), Biofreeze or Flexiseq. Tiger Balm contains cooling, pain-relieving menthol (peppermint oil) , eucalyptus, cloves and camphor. Biofreeze also contains menthol. Flexiseq is a water-based gel containing droplets of phospholipids (fats) which the manufacturers claim lubricate the joint to help relieve the cause of the pain. Tiger Balm is probably the cheapest product, so it may be a good idea to try that first.

I'm sure your husband and friend will find a product that works for them - though it may be a case of trial and error.

I wish them luck!

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: Older treatments better?

Hi Rosemary,

There's a prescription cream for pain that did very well in the NICE evaluation for osteoarthritis, it's the chilli pepper cream called Capsaicin. But do be aware it's prescription only.

And here's a link to some general information on managing arthritis pain

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-i ... -with-pain

I hope that's helpful

Guy
Arthritis Care Helpline
Tel 0808 800 4050 10am - 4pm weekdays

3 posts