Back pain

Post your Psoriatic Arthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
rsampson22

by rsampson22 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Back pain

Hello

I have been told that I have psoriatic arthritis and have now been put on sulfasalazine. The pain in my back began just in the mornings and has gradually got worse. Now I am in constant pain which is becoming unbearable and I don't know how to cope with it. I've been to see a local rheumatologist but just don't feel I'm getting anywhere or questions are being answered. I'm only 31 and feel I have my whole life ahead of me, now with the constant pain which I would really like to get under control. I go to a yoga class twice a week and go on daily walks with our dogs so feel I'm active, as well as taking cod liver oil and another herbal tablet for joints and I've altered my diet to include the suggested food.

I just wondered if there is anything else you could suggest that I do or go and see. I'd really appreciate any advise.

Looking forward to your response.

Rachael

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Back pain

Hi,

Unfortunately one in four people who have psoriatic arthritis (PsA) will suffer from pain and stiffness in their neck or back.

You sound as though you're doing all you can to manage your condition by exercising and watching your diet etc., so it may be that your GP/rheumatologist needs to review the effectiveness of the medication you're taking, which is a type of disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD). There are other drugs that can help to manage PsA including biological therapies (also known as anti-TNF drugs) such as infliximab and etanercept.

Also, people with psoriatic disease often have low-levels of vitamin D, which helps regulate immune system function, so it may be worth asking your GP for a blood test to check your levels. If it is too low you may be prescribed a vitamin D supplement. Vitamin D deficiency is common in the UK - especially in the winter, because sunshine on the skin is the best source.

Adding turmeric to your cooking, or taking turmeric supplements may also help your symptoms. Turmeric is best absorbed when it's taken with black pepper (piperine), so you could add black pepper to your food or take a supplement that contains both spices.

I hope this helps.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:51 am

Hello Rachael,

Some people with psoriatic arthritis also have a problem with inflammation in the spine and sacroiliac joints. This tends to cause pain which is worse in the morning and better with stretching, later on in the day and anti-inflammatory medicines. Disease modifying medicines such as sulfasalazine are not effective at all for this problem. It is important that if you have inflammatory spinal disease that this is correctly diagnosed, as other treatments such as anti-TNF medicines can be extremely effective. You may need to have an MRI scan of your back to make this diagnosis so ask your rheumatology team if this would be appropriate for you. There is no diet or Vitamin which can help with inflammatory spinal disease so make sure that you have the correct diagnosis first before trying these things.

Wendy

Dr Wendy Holden
Consultant Rheumatologist and Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action
www.arthritisaction.org.uk
info@arthritisaction.org

Arthritis Care

by Arthritis Care on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi Rachael,

I wonder whether you'd like a chat about your situation? If you'd like to be listened to you'd be most welcome to ring us at the Helpline. Sometimes it's during these conversations that you may mention particular points that you've not yet had time to mention.

Another approach is to share your situation with peer online communities
Here's our one http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8

Do ring us on our freephone number if you'd like.

Kind regards

Guy
Arthritis Care Helpline
0808 800 4050
10am to 4pm weekdays

4 posts