Skin Cancer Symptoms: What, when?

Got something to share about the results from our recent sun awareness survey? This is where to get involved in the discussions. Read all about the survey results here: http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/fr ... reness.php

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha, Kazzy

6 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:14 pm

Skin Cancer Symptoms: What, when?

In the Sun awareness survey, when asked how long they long did they lived with skin cancer-related symptoms before going to see a doctor, 22% of people answered with two weeks to a month, and a further 22% answered with over a year.

Does this result surprise you?
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Tracey Belcher

by Tracey Belcher on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Skin Cancer Symptoms: What, when?

I don't think it really surprises me as people do not like to think the worse and so 'head in the sand' syndrome sets in until acceptance that things really do need checking out! I lost a lovely friend to skin cancer many years ago but there has been a lot of progress and recognition of symptoms since then.

knookieUK

by knookieUK on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:15 pm

Perhaps the 22% who waited over a year either have the mole in a hard to see place on their body and do not have a partner who can see those sort of things easier.

vpoole

by vpoole on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:43 pm

This does not surprise me especially as in some GP surgeries there is a 4 or 5 week wait for the next available appointment to see a doctor. Then another long wait to see a dermatologist and possible further waits for treatment.

lildan52

by lildan52 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:08 pm

As I have got older I have more and more marks, blemishes and moles on my body probably as I have always been out in the sun despite always wearing sun cream but in the last few years if I've noticed a mole getting darker or bigger I have always gone to my doctor and asked for an opinion. The answer so far has been nothing to worry about it's just a mole but keep an eye on it. The trouble is I now don't like to keep asking for an opinion and sometimes worry that if I do get skin cancer I may not ask in time.

Lysette61

by Lysette61 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:30 pm

As has already been mentioned, there is a head in the sand mentality with skin awareness. I'm probably guilty of this as we're continually being alerted to other cancers to look out for and it can feel like information overload! It's definitely important to check yourself but as someone pointed out it's not always easy to spot small moles etc.- having a partner to do that would be an advantage!

6 posts