Allergies

If you have or suspect you have a food allergy, whether it's an allergy to dairy, wheat, fish, shellfish, nuts or something else, ask our medical experts all your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
curlytots71

by curlytots71 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:20 am

Allergies

I have lots of different food allergies all fish and shell fish , pineapple , mango , pine nuts
And some chocolate cakes like Tesco birthday cake and Sainsbury's birthday I have had food allergy test but nothing I carry epi pens with me at all times I have had use them a few times every year I seem to be allergic to something else .

andferdav

by andferdav on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Re: Allergies

The first thing that comes to mind with chocolate is hazelnuts. A LOT of chocolate, including spreads (not just Nutella) etc. contain hazelnuts.
It could be that there are traces in those chocolate cakes? As so many things say 'may contain...' it's almost useless to me, unless I gave up eating, ha, ha!

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:21 pm

What symptoms do you get when you eat these foods? Is it skin rash or something else?
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

curlytots71

by curlytots71 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Something else my tongue swells up find it hard to swallow , sometimes feel dizzy depends how severe the reaction is sometimes it's with one mouthful of something

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:22 pm

some patients present with spontaneous tongue oedema (swelling = angioedema) which might seem to be caused by an ever increasing number of foods. They are often not allergic to any food at all though. It would be best to see an allergist to have a detailed discussion and tests incl skin allergy tests (after detailed discussion)
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

5 posts