Milk allergy in 19 month old

If you have or suspect you have a food allergy, whether it's an allergy to dairy, wheat, fish, shellfish, nuts or something else, ask our medical experts all your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
ami.george

by ami.george on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Milk allergy in 19 month old

-I have a 19 month old who I think has a dairy allergy. He was unwell 2 weeks ago and ate mac and cheese made with butter, milk and cheese. Within minutes he had developed hives anywhere the sauce had touched-hands, face and arms. I gave piriton and it settled within an hour, then rubbed a bit of cheese on the inside of his elbow and the same thing happened again. He has been dairy free ever since and I've noticed big changes - his eczema has gone completely and he is sleeping at night which has never done! Is it likely that he has recently developed this reaction or is it possible he has had it all along and I have missed the signs?

He was exclusively breastfed for 6 months which despite horrific colic was uneventful. I continued to breastfeed with complementary foods until his appetite grew, now he just feeds morning and night, occasionally in the afternoon if I am not working. Should I cut dairy from my diet too?

I have read that the re-introduction of dairy to allergic children should start at age one but obviously my son is older now so when should I try the milk ladder?

I have an appointment with my gp on the 17th-what information should I take?

Thank you

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Milk allergy in 19 month old

A blood test (specific IgE [RAST]) to cow's milk would be helpful to confirm the diagnosis. It is important to ensure your baby has a healthy, balanced diet, rich in calcium and protein, despite milk avoidance. Therefore it is v important to confirm/refute the diagnosis. An allergist (and a dietian) would be the next step
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

Dr Sian Ludman

by Dr Sian Ludman on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi Emi.george

Just in addition to Dr Rutkowski's suggestion, if your child is tolerating your breast milk with cow's milk in your diet I would not manipulate your diet. Not all children react to cow's milk through breast milk. Your child sounds clinically much improved on a sow's milk free diet but it sounds as though a dietitian would be immensely helpful to you.
Dr Sian Ludman
MBBCh, DRCOG, MRCPCH, MSc Allergy, European Diploma in Allergology

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ludman.php

ami.george

by ami.george on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Thank you both. I have eliminated cows milk from both diets until I see the gp next week so I'm not sure if he would react to my milk or not.

It has really thrown me that this reaction has happened very recently when he has been eating dairy for over a year now.

Thanks again for you thoughts

Ami

4 posts