House dust mite allergy

If you have questions about environmental allergies such as chemical sensitivity, latex allergy, dust mite allergy, sensitivity to perfumes, mould and mildew, asthma or rhinitis etc , please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
wacky

by wacky on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:52 pm

House dust mite allergy

Hi
I suffer with a lot of allergies and skin conditions - dust mite, food, pollen, eczema, urticarea, rhinitis..
The most annoying allergy for me is house dust mites.
Every time I walk into my house it's like I am attacked - my skin itches like crazy and I have to shower to get some relief.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can try to combat this ? The house is very clean and we don't have much carpet in the house. We don't have the central heating on much at all.
Are dehumidifiers worth a try ? I know they are very expensive.

Any advice would be appreciated !

Thanks

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: House dust mite allergy

House dust mite (HDM) allergy is unfortunately v common. It usually causes eye/nose/breathing symptoms. Skin problems in adults are rarely due to HDM.
HDM avoidance is difficult and the evidence is weak. Unfortunately even v clean houses have lots of HDM.
If your skin is itchy and cold showers help it might mean that your urticaria (hives) are active. Do you ever develop blotches/raised itchy lumps on your skin? Many patients benefit from a daily dose of a non drowsy antihistamine such as cetirizine or loratadine which you can buy over the counter. The dose can be increased to 2 tablets a day if you need to. Keeping skin moisturised might help too. If your skin is still troubling you, you might wish to ask to GP for a referral to an allergist or dermatologist.
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

wacky

by wacky on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:18 pm

thanks

yes I already take fexofenadine daily.

I suffer with very bad hives in hot environments, so try to avoid that situation.
I had to give up cardio/sport.

the house dust mites is something that frustrates me as I feel there must be something I can do to lessen the effects.
it's literally when I walk in my house, every time..

I've had eczema for 26 years so use a lot of moisturiser.

thanks again

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:34 pm

there are different types of urticaria (hives). Physical urticaria (induced by hot environment, sweating, exercise) might not respond to anithistamines and other (targeted) treatments are recommended

HDM avoidance: no carpets, no curtains; hard flooring; dehumidifier (controversial); antiallergic bed covers - but it will not eradicate HDM completely

Eczema predisposes to itching; urticaria too. When you combine both your itching can be unbearable.
Not all itch is due to skin problems though. You might need to see an allergist or dermatologist
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

wacky

by wacky on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:36 pm

thanks

I am waiting for an appointment with a dermatologist.

rgds

5 posts