Chlorine allergy

If you have questions about environmental allergies such as chemical sensitivity, latex allergy, dust mite allergy, sensitivity to perfumes, mould and mildew, asthma or rhinitis etc , please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
nadetopetrova8

by nadetopetrova8 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31 am

Chlorine allergy

Good morning, my baby is 7 months old and we go swimming every week. However just like me she gets an allergy (spots) on her face and sometimes on her body from the chlorine. Is there a cream I could you to put on her before swimming and something that will work for me too? I get spots mainly on my arms.
Thank you.

Dr Sian Ludman

by Dr Sian Ludman on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Chlorine allergy

Hello Nadetopetrova

Often children with sensitive skin will react to chlorine in swimming pools, especially if they have eczema. It can be quite an irritant.

With my patients who have eczema and want to swim I tend to recommend a good barrier cream prior to swimming, wash off thoroughly post swim and reapply a moisturiser.

So for example, I would put a good layer of an ointment like Epaderm (though lots are available) prior to swimming, and then thoroughly moisturise afterwards with a lighter cream like cetraben (or whatever cream you use). Remember your child will be slippy when they are moisturised pre swim, so take care!

Thanks
Dr Sian Ludman
MBBCh, DRCOG, MRCPCH, MSc Allergy, European Diploma in Allergology

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ludman.php

nadetopetrova8

by nadetopetrova8 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 pm

Good Evening Dr Ludman,

Thank you very much for your help. This has been very helpful.

Regards,
Nadia

zzirf4551

by zzirf4551 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:59 am

yes must be careful with slippery kids lol :mrgreen: and you should find a salted pool instead - maybe an old person's hydrotherapy pool is more likely to not be heavily chlorinated. And hold your breath if the water from your tap comes out blue against a white background. That's chlorine too - the prettier it is, the worse it is but I can smell it when local council ups the levels perhaps due to dwindling water supply and the need to kill off multiplying bugs. Use your nose, it is a good friend, then hold your breath or get a mask if the allergy is that bad. It is all about toxic load and YoUr particular threshold before reaction.

4 posts