Can bee allergies worse?

If you have questions about allergies to drugs or venom (for example bees and wasps) then post your question to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:03 am

Can bee allergies worse?

from Sarah:
My partner keeps bees - however when he has been stung before his arms swell up and are hot and tight to the touch. To me it looks like an allergy. He's not has any sort of anaphylactic reactions - but is it possible that it can worsen?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Sophie Farooque

by Dr Sophie Farooque on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:37 am

Re: Can bee allergies worse?

We know that anaphylaxis to bee venom is usually only seen in bee-keepers and their families. However, there are no studies showing that if someone develops a large local reaction (i.e. they develop swelling where they have been stung) to a bee or wasp sting that they are at increased risk of anaphylaxis. Studies suggest that the risk of anaphylaxis is low and one study suggests that the risk is even decreased. Practically, your partner should wear a bee-suit whenever he handles the bees so that any stings are partial and I would suggest that he asks his GP for some emergency steroid tablets to keep at home and which he could take in addition to antihistamines for up to 72 hours in the event of further stings.
Dr Sophie Farooque
BSc (Hons), MBBS, MRCP, PhD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... rooque.php

2 posts