British Skin Foundation

'Chronic inflammation' and lichen sclerosus.

Join the conversation here

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Frances489

by Frances489 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:19 pm

'Chronic inflammation' and lichen sclerosus.

After 18 months of severe vulval itching and soreness - as well as widespread inflammation - I had a biopsy. The result was 'chronic inflammation', even though my GP told me, before the biopsy, that it was highly likely that I had lichen sclerosus. After the biopsy result, he refused to be drawn on whether I had LS or not, but I am to continue to use Dermovate as a maintenance cream to keep the condition under control. The Dermovate has greatly helped and, initially, he felt that as I had responded well to the steroid cream, this indicated a greater likelihood of LS.

I know that lichen sclerosus is an chronic inflammatory condition, but am now confused and a little concerned. Would lichen sclerosus be diagnosed positively from a biopsy, or is 'chronic inflammation' a term used when it's not absolutely clear whether it is LS or not? I'm happy to continue to treat the symptoms, as my GP obviously wants me to do, but it would be nice to have a positive diagnosis.

Incidentally, my GP has treated me and carried out the biopsy. I asked whether I needed to be referred to a dermatologist, but, at the moment, he feels this isn't necessary. I would appreciate any advice.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:08 am

Re: 'Chronic inflammation' and lichen sclerosus.

Thanks for your post - hopefully someone in our community might be able to offer support/advice.

Incidentally we are running a Free online Gynaecology clinic which opens 1st March 2017 and runs for the month. The clinic gives you the opportunity to put your query to a panel of experts, in this case in the field of gynaecology. As you mentioned the issue started out as vulval they may be able to help you.

You can find all the clinic details here:
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... y_2017.php

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Rosy @talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts