British Skin Foundation

Rosecea Lifestyle

Join the conversation here

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Barnsley Tyke77

by Barnsley Tyke77 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Rosecea Lifestyle

Hi......I'm a new member, I'm a 39 year old male diagnosed with Rosecea 6 months ago. Started off with spots and the odd lump, Metrogel got rid of the spots, Zineryt took care of the lumps so now all I have is the redness......My Rosecea is mild to moderate.......I look as tho I have sunburn all the time but I know that the condition can worsen with age and time.

I have a few questions which I hope this forum can help me with.....

TRIGGERS: Spicey Food/Alcohol/Exercise........do these things make the condition worse over time if u don't avoid them, like say a cigarette damages the lungs over time?. So far its only alcohol and the weather Ive noticed affects my condition, spicey foods (once a week) gym (5 days a week) don't make me flush so am I still ok with them?.

ANTI-BIOTICS: Over the last 3 months Ive been taking Omega 3, Vitamins D,C, Primrose capsules and Flaxseed.......Ive read reports of roseceans trying anti-biotics and their conditions becoming worse. I'm considering giving DOXYCYCLINE a try.......does anyone have any positive/negative accounts of this anti-biotic?.

RHINOPHYMA: What is the ''Incubation'' time from being diagnosed to showing signs of rhinophyma?.......can the nose start to change without it showing signs of redness?.

I really appreciate any/all responses.......

Thanks.
B.T.

Lisa BSF

by Lisa BSF on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Re: Rosecea Lifestyle

Hi Barnsley Tyke,

You might find this page useful from the British Association of Dermatologists. It discusses treatment and self care. Hope that helps.

http://www.bad.org.uk/shared/get-file.a ... e=document

Best wishes,
Lisa

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks for your post Barnsley Tyke 77

You could also ask your question within our current Ask the Expert - Older Skin which is run in partnership with the British Skin Foundation. Dermatological experts will join the clinic tomorrow to give advice and support. The clinic will close at 5.30 on Thursday so please do get your post in before then.

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/f ... .php?f=900

Best wishes

talkhealth.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

JulieBC*

by JulieBC* on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi B.T.,

Aside from asking your doctor/dermatologist for answers from a health professional here are my best non-expert answers to your questions based on my own experience:
Barnsley Tyke77 wrote: TRIGGERS: Spicey Food/Alcohol/Exercise........do these things make the condition worse over time if u don't avoid them, like say a cigarette damages the lungs over time?. So far its only alcohol and the weather Ive noticed affects my condition, spicey foods (once a week) gym (5 days a week) don't make me flush so am I still ok with them?.
We all have different triggers. Just because the sun, alcohol and spicy food causes my skin to flare up, it doesn't mean it will have the same impact on your skin. If something doesn't seem to be causing your symptoms to appear, it may not be a trigger for you. That said, triggers can change over time, so I recommend tracking them to see what does and does not affect your skin. As far as I understand it, triggers cause symptoms to appear, I don't think they impact the progress of the condition itself, though, as the triggers and the cause of rosacea are two different things.
Barnsley Tyke77 wrote: ANTI-BIOTICS: Over the last 3 months Ive been taking Omega 3, Vitamins D,C, Primrose capsules and Flaxseed.......Ive read reports of roseceans trying anti-biotics and their conditions becoming worse. I'm considering giving DOXYCYCLINE a try.......does anyone have any positive/negative accounts of this anti-biotic?.
I haven't had any luck with antibiotics for my rosacea. They've either worked for a very short time (a few weeks) or they've worsened the redness and dryness of my skin. That said, I know someone else who uses topical antibiotics very successfully. We each have a unique response to treatments. There's really no way to know if it will work without trying it (unfortunately!).
Barnsley Tyke77 wrote: RHINOPHYMA: What is the ''Incubation'' time from being diagnosed to showing signs of rhinophyma?.......can the nose start to change without it showing signs of redness?.
Just because you have rosacea, it doesn't mean that you will have rhinophyma. Most people don't get it. There are 4 subtypes to the condition. I stared with 1 but now have 1 and 2. Some people will have only one of the subtypes for their whole lives. Some people find their conditions progress and worsen. Others have the same experience with rosacea forever. You may not ever experience rhinophyma (subtype 3) at all. There isn't any kind of incubation as it is not necessarily something you will get. If you think the skin on your nose is starting to change/thicken, talk to your doctor.

I hope this helped. I'm certainly not a doctor or an expert, but that's how I understand the condition based on having lived with it for 15+ years and reading a lot on TalkHealth and Rosacea.org. :oops:
Julie
Rosacea Ambassador & talkhealth Forum Moderator
Rosacea Geek & Guinea Pig
My rosacea blog: http://www.treatrosacea.wordpress.com
My rosacea YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/rosaceatreatm ... ithjuliebc

Barnsley Tyke77

by Barnsley Tyke77 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:06 am

Hi JulieBC

Thank you for your reply to my post, to have someone with Rosecea answer my questions has really helped. Since being diagnosed last year adapting to the condition has been difficult, I've read about the condition on the internet hoping for some ''Black and White" answers but it looks like it's not a "1 size fits all'' condition. My doctor's attitude toward my diagnosis was ''Its Rosecea.......not much we can do I'm afraid" which didn't help. My self esteem has took a beating, I'm very resentful of this change in my life that I don't seem to have any control over.

I've watched your YouTube video's while searching for ways to improve my condition.......your Turmeric Face mask seemed interesting so thought I'd give it a try. It's REALLY helped.......I've been applying it for a week now, It's took a lot of the redness down, I add some corn flour though to make it more paste like. I apply it for 30 mins every night before I go to bed, only downside is my white pillow.....is now a green pillow. Please continue with the video's......they're very helpful.

Best Wishes.

B.T.

5 posts